We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pangani

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pangani

Hello

I'm staying at The Tides Lodge for a few days at the end of June 2013. Just wondering if I would need long trousers for the evening? I'm not sure about whether it is cool at night or there are lots if mozzies

Regards

Tiggipaws

8 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pangani

I can't speak directly about the Tides, or the June time frame, BUT - I was at the nearby Emayani Beach Lodge in January. January is their summer and June is their winter, so I was there during a potentially hotter time of the year. I had one pair of cotton Cargo pants with me and did not wear them. I did wear kanga skirts and tank tops while at the lodge, as it was hot and humid. I also had some cotton capri shorts, but really relied on the kanga skirts.

There was a constant breeze, so no mosquitoes beach side. I use a local mosquito repellent that I bought in Moshi and Arusha called MediSoft. It has rosemary oil in it and smells really nice.

We had fans bedside in the tent, which was a welcome relief as it was very humid and hot.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pangani

Tiggipaws, I will be there in about two weeks. We are staying at The Tides for 6 nights. Will give a full report after leaving : )

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pangani

Thanks

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pangani

Hello Tiggipaws, we have now been at the Tides for a few days. First of all it is a very beautiful spot! Good food as well. It was very warm and sunny yesterday cooling somewhat in the evening. I have not worn pants since we got here as I get over heated very easily. At dinner last night there was both: several people in shorts, some in capris and some in dressier pants. I did get a few mosquito bites last night, but I also forgot to put any spray on.

I think if you are more comfortable bring lightweight pants you would do fine with them. It will probably be a bit cooler in June. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pangani

Salix..naughty naughty.

It will be cooler in June. I always wear shorts even at the beach and at night...but always had repellent.

I would have long trousers just for the comfort of the mossies.

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pangani

Hello Salix

Glad you are enjoying your stay at The Tides. I like you don't seem to feel the cold as much as other people. This year we went to Mauritius in June where I was told I would need a cardigan or coat for the evenings. I took one but didn't use it once, unlike other guests who looked they were dressed for the artic.

I was going to take one pair of capris and one pair of long trousers and a cardigan although looking at the weather history on wunderground its probably warmer than an average English summer night.

If you can get hold of any bicarbonate of soda (baking powder) mix a small amount with water into a paste and apply to mossie bite. It seems to stop the itching almost immediately and stops any swelling.

Tiggipaws

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pangani

Tiggipaws, baking Soda, not powder, right? I plan on taking a bit in a baggy. Thanks-chris

Edited: 16 November 2013, 14:32
Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pangani

Hi cbradley1209

Sorry for confusing you. I meant to put Baking Soda not Baking Powder.

Tiggipaws

Reply to: Pangani
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pangani
Recent Conversations