We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Hey all,

I'm looking at leading a group of 12-15 university students to travel in Gulu for two weeks, and was wondering if I could get some help in estimating costs: i.e., airfare, daily transport, food, lodging. Any help would be appreciated: I'm trying to get the details docked out in the next week or so, before I head out to Rwanda for the month.

Best,

Travis

8 replies to this topic
Kampala
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Have you cross checked with American Airlines for recent Air fares.

Regarding Transport, you will have to hire a min bus with a driver.

Alternatively

You can contact Shelly for more details as she knows a driver who charges reasonable price for car hire. She will probably throw more light on this.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Well how thoughtful :)

Welcome to the forum Travis.

Can you say when the trip will be (month)?

Is there a charity-link to it? We get our air tickets (for our teams) through a UK-based agent that provides charity fares. That might be an option for you.

Bear in mind July/August are steep for fares. If you are trying to keep budget to a minimum, look at Turkish Airlines as a starter.

Gulu is very used to visitors - I will find out the name of the place a school trip went to from Kampala. Can the receiving host/project shine any light for you?

Daily transport, depends on where you are trying to reach, from the accommodation. It may be walkable. But I would think you have a bus for the duration, then the driver is at your disposal for the duration?

In terms of daily costs for accommodation/food you could budget for $20 per day, especially if you drive a bargain with that group size. That would probably be a minimum. However, this would be in basic Guest House accomm. Expect cold showers and flushing toilets though in that figure. I really don't know about Gulu though - it's probably fair to say you'd pay more because there's been so much investment. Local business has probably capitalised on this.

UGS - am I correct in thinking that 15-seater vehicles are a standard size here? Travis, that may also be a factor - of course much bigger buses are available - or you may need 2. You may also consider, are you building in R&R, ie, a short safari trip on the way back? And what vehicle you may need for that etc. Although you do see 15-seater buses in the parks quite often. They are 4WD.

Hope this helps to start with.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Look at Red Chilli at Murchison Falls for the safari option. Budget, but good quality.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Try Acholi Inn for lodging . Hotel Pearl Afriqu, Justmor Inn or Hotel Roma

Gulu. It is advisable to book flights from your country because if you use ground agents in Uganda , you may end up getting expensive fares.

If the group is coming from the United states of AMerica, try contacting KLM and if you have a KLM branch in your home area, try to ask them for students' discounts , I am sure you will get them.

For daily transport , I advise you to hire a costa bus with a driver so that he can always transport the group . You can hire it from any Tour agent in Kampala . I am sure it will be very helpful if the group needs to travel around a lot.

For food, you should budget for US$3-$20 per meal depending on the restaurant you will have meals at .

Edited: 10 May 2012, 21:54
Kampala
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

shelly,

By Min bus i meant a Costa. which has more seats.

I do not think a 15 seater vehicle will be enough to accommodate the group since they are likely to have luggage.

In this case a Costa is perfect for them.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Turkish,KLM or Ethiopian airlines will give you budget options and posible discounts for your group.enjoy the.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Depends on which State but Ethiopia they have better offers from Dallas to Uganda....

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help

Depends on which State but Ethiopia they have better offers from Dallas to Uganda....

Reply to: Large Group Travel Costs? Need help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gulu