We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Camping in Murchison NP

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Wild Camping in Murchison NP

My girlfriend and I are doing a self driven holiday in Uganda. As part of this we are planning on spending 3 days in the Murchison NP. We are planning in camping but hoping to enjoy some wild camping, i.e. Botswana style: avoiding campsites with lots of people, bars, shops, swimming pools etc. We are entirely happy to give up the delights of shower blocks etc as well. I have heard that you can camp down on the Nile Delta by prior approval.

Does anybody know the camping rules for Murchison NP and know if wild camping is possible?

5 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Camping in Murchison NP

Where did you hear that? I know one Safari outfit has a temporary campsite down there but have not heard of wildcamping being allowed and doubt it would be. To get out of your car is against Park rules anywhere except your Lodge. I know you can walk with an armed Ranger but overnight I would doubt very much unless you have a Ranger with you.

One thing I have not seen in any NP is Campsites with Pools, Shops, Ablution blocks, Bars and people.

There are Campsites in QENP at Mweya.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Camping in Murchison NP

You can do this. Bill Gates did it! Friends have done it.

I would contact UWA direct and ask them. You pay for a UWA guide to guard you at night, they build a fire and so on.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Camping in Murchison NP

Of course you CAN do it but this won't be in the style of Botswana which is what the OP seeks. (I doubt Bill G was out there all alone and neither will Blake R.)

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Camping in Murchison NP

I think if you contact Marasa Central Reservations/Paraa - or Murchison River Lodge, you would find they may be able to accommodate your request.

Also contact Wild Frontiers, as they have a new (lovely) banda office right by the ferry crossing, they may well be able to do something for you too.

Kampala, Uganda
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Camping in Murchison NP

Enjoy your trip, looks there's nothing to add since all information has been given to you in the above thread!!!

Reply to: Wild Camping in Murchison NP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murchison Falls...