We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

Hi anyone, just after some advice. Looking at travelling for two weeks near Bentota at the end of July and beginning of August.

Have read so much about Monsoon weather, that I'm just about to chuck it in, and consider our vacation somewhere else....

Any thoughts or experience travelling round this time to this area would be very helpful.

Cheers

Glenn

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

Hi Glenn,

Next to January-March end July-September is actually the best time of the year to visit Sri Lanka.

Monsoon means wind, not rain. Statistically you can expect rain 1 out of 3 days, but mainly late afternoon/evenings/nights.

I have been to Sri Lankan a couple of times in August and the weather has been fairly good. An afternoon/evening shower only cools everything a bit down and is quite refreshing.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

Hi Glen,

My preferred month in Sri Lanka , south west area, is August.

You'll probably see a little, rain but thats all it will be and quite often at that time of the year you can go weeks without any at all.

I was searching to book for this August but as prices from the UK were high, to get a cheap flight, I've had to take the second option and go in September.

I expect it to be dry, hoty and sunny for most of the time ,

Rod,.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

Have you considered going to Arugam Bay if you want the beach. I'll be heading there in about 10 days as it is the season there but will also be going to the south - Mirissa and Hikkaduwa and don't expect the weather to be much of a hindrance as it all blows over pretty quickly.

4. Re: Do we or don't we travel to the South-West of Sri-Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna
Recent Conversations