We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo to Unawatuna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Colombo to Unawatuna

Hello I am arriving solo at the airport in Dec at 1am and am wondering whether to go straight to the beach or stop for a sleep first!

Also what are the options for getting from the airport to Unawatuna,

I have heard you can get the train from Colombo to Galle. Is there also a bus?

I have heard that Dec is really busy so maybe night travel is better?

Many thanks,

Anne

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,629 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombo to Unawatuna

Hi Anne,

Supposing you're coming from a multi-hour flight, first one night rest at Negombo (also on the beach, though not of U'tuna quality) is really better.

Public transport:

* Train Negombo-Colombo (90 mins) and then Colombo-Galle (3 hours). From there bus or tuktuk to U'tuna. Actually the same train does continue to U'tuna-Matara also, but it waits 20+ minutes at Galle (reversing direction) and U'tuna station is so far from the beach that you'd need a tuktuk from there too.

* Bus Negombo-Colombo. There take a Matara express bus and ask to be dropped off near U'tuna beach road (Welledewala Road), which is 1 km beyond the railway station.

Buses have little luggage space, so only attempt this when you have upto a medium size backpack. The AC express buses, on both stretches, have a guaranteed seating so no worry about being full. Night buses indeed exist but would not recommend them to ladiez, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombo to Unawatuna

I always arrive around that time and get a taxi straight down to Mirissa which is a little further on than Unawatuna. It is exhausting but once there I can relax straight away.

First time I ever went I stayed in Negombo and got the train the next day but wouldn't do it again as in effect it just drags out the travel for longer.

Always get the train back at the end of the trip though.

Beginning of Dec shouldn't be a problem with too many people on the train and it is a great trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombo to Unawatuna

When in Unawatanna

Have a meal at the Peacock Hotel right on the beach, almost breakers at your feet. You can also enjoy the ambience of the local dog watching you eat! Is on the southern end of the beach. I hope to stay there again in January.

Chris

4. Re: Colombo to Unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2010, 06:18