We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sri lankan dance and wood carving

Level Contributor
425 posts
289 reviews
Save Topic
sri lankan dance and wood carving

I am going to Unawatuna in February and would very much like to see Sri Lankan dance can any one suggest where I might go to see this We are there for some time so we can travel if necessary. I also collect wood carvings and want to purchase quality carvings of Hindu Gods .Any ideas please.I could not find any last time I visited.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sri lankan dance and wood carving

Kandy is the best place for both of the things that you mention. That's not to say that you will not find good woodcarvings and not have the chance to see traditional Kandyan dancing in other areas, but if you are planning on doing any touring whilst you are in Sri Lanka, then Kandy is your place. There are some marvellous woodcarving outlets and also cultural dance performances daily.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sri lankan dance and wood carving

Hi there...

As regards the dancing, some hotels have a weekly "Cultural Show", the ones i have seen have in my opinion been better than the touristy one at Kandy, so maybe check any hotels in the area you will be staying at, maybe The Fotress at Koggola for instance ? for an evening out.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 21:32
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sri lankan dance and wood carving

Another suggestion , when you are there, ask around among the hotel staff, tourist bhoard officers, who ever you can, regarding a festival at Ambalangoda.

Thats about 1 hour from Unawatuna.

A few years ago, I stayed for a couple of nights in a small guest house on the beach at Balapitiya and the owner of the guest house asked us if we'd like to see a dance festival , then as we said yes, he supplied free transport into Ambalangoda for a local festival.

Ambalangoda is known as the home of mask carving and you can see many antique masks there as well as genuine, non tourist design modern opnes.

I can't remember exactly when the dance festival was except to say it was sometime during Northern hemisphere summer.

We were the only white faces there , there was no entry fee, all free, the dancing lasted all night and if it happens to be happening while you're there , it would be well worth getting to see it.

4. Re: sri lankan dance and wood carving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna