We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

Which Unawatuna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

we will be travelling to sri lanka mid feb and are unsure of where would be the best place to stay. unawatuna sounds really lovely but im a bit concerned it will be too quiet on a night for us. Are there any bars that are open late on a night for drinks or are they mostly restaurants. are there any busy bars? we dont like noisy "disco" type bars but we do like somewhere with a bit of atmosphere. would Hikkaduwa be a better choice? if so what area would be the best to stay in. preferably where the sea is not too rough. Would we be able to find somewhere to stay for around £25.00 pre night or will i have to up my budget.

any advice will be much appreciated.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,360 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

Hi there,

In this respect I'd rate them roughly the same. Beachside restaurants/bars at U'tuna stay open to roughly midnight, at Fri. and Sat. evening hours later; and as far as I know same in Hikkaduwa. Both places have lots of affordable guesthouses...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

i'm in the hikkaduwa camp but others prefer unawatuna. you could try both by booking say 3 nights in 1 place and visiting the other on a day trip to see if you like it.

25 gb pounds is more than enough to find a nice place on either beach..

i think that from your requirements hikkaduwa or unawatuna will be the right place for you..

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

hi

thanks for the replies

still unsure but think ill go for unawatuna.

thanks again

julie

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

just booked my flights decided to go for unawatuna! does anyone know anyting about villa in paradise, is it close to bars and restaurants etc. thinking of booking it before we get there so we dont have to worry about finding somewhere nice to stay after the long flights . also does anyone know a place called little villa , on the beach, ive heard good things about it but cant find any contact details for it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

Hi,

You can contact Little Villa via their website - http://www.littlevilla.net/

Villa in Paradise is a bit away from the beach scene.

Hans

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

hi

thanks Hans

i have tried to contact them on the web site but cant seem to get a reply. maybe they are booked ou or havent checked their e mail yet. villa in paradise said they would reserve 2 rooms for us until tonight. we would really like to find somewhere nearer the beach and bars thats nice and clean and not too expensive. villa in p quoted £25 per night

any ideas?

regards

julie

7. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 19:59
8. Re: advice on unawatuna and hikkaduwa please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 05:16