We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tartaruga - $68 per night

Which Unawatuna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tartaruga - $68 per night

Hi All,

Does this sound like a reasonable nightly rate for the Tartaruga resort? It includes breakfast and aircon.

Cheers!

Paul

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,360 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

Hi Paul,

Maybe only at the peak of highseason. It's more of an upmarket guesthouse, with AC indeed, than hotel-level. You should get a much much better price-quality ratio, with e.g. pool, in nextdoor Unuwatuna Beach Resort.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

Hi Paul

The walk in price at Tartaruga for a double a/c room in February was $36 or Rs4000 but didn't include breakfast. Non a/c rooms were going for Rs2800. We had a good look at all the rooms and weren't that impressed, although spent a lot of time at the bar there because it really is one of the best located and most atmospheric along the Unawatuna beach front .. definitely a great place to lie back and drink cocktails. I'd recommend the accommodation to anyone who had small children, as they could be at the bar yet still within sight of their room just behind incase little ones needed to sleep, but there were better deals to be found elsewhere for us.

I would stay elsewhere but visit Tartaruga for drinks, as we did!

Sue

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,360 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

It's a deal, Sue! Small correction: as Tartaruga is THE main source of beach party noise on most Friday and Saturday evenings, would not recommend it with small onez on those days only. And same for all acco close to it, e.g. Neptune Bay or the west wing of UBR (east wing should be enough noise-protected...).

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

Yep, fair point Erik although I have not yet experienced Unawatuna on those noisy nights that people have sometimes warned about. My memories are just of a very lazy, sleepy and quiet resort with local families swimming, turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs in the sand each night (also by Tartaruga) and a lovely laid back vibe. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and also the lovely excursions nearby, such as to Jungle Beach, the Peace Pagoda and the pretty tuk tuk ride up to it, through tropical woodland with monkeys swinging from the trees. Sorry .. getting carried away now but that's just how it was for us! Lovely place!! And absolutely no hassling from beach sellers either, so Unawatuna ticked all the right boxes for us.

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

.. we stayed from Saturday to Tuesday by the way.There was nothing doing on the Saturday night that we were there, so maybe we were lucky .. or in my daughter's view, UNlucky as she would have probably appreciated just a little more life! After around 9.30 the only sign of activity was a turtle coming up the beach!! Strange really, because we found most places to be pretty much full when we were looking for accommodation.

Sue

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

Hmmm...very interesting!!

So, we're getting ripped off?

I'll keep looking around....but do you think they will be open to negotiation?

Thanks,

Paul

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,360 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

No idea, worth a try. And alternately, lots of choice nearby - some names were dropped in the earlier discussion...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

Excellent...thanks for your help guys!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

And absolutely no hassling from beach sellers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange, I had lunch and a swim at Cormoran Beach Club, I think it was called. At least 10 woman came and praised their goods and also a couple of beggars.

I also noticed that there were quite a few beach sellers and beggars around in Hikkaduwa.

I would assume that the many tourists that are around in Unawatuna and Hikkaduwa attracts that kind of people to the beaches.

Hans

somerset uk
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tartaruga - $68 per night

I was quoted about the same as Sue last February - and likewise declined. $68 is way too much. I have stayed very close to Tartarga many times over recent years and never been aware of any noise - the place to avoid is Happy Banana on a Friday - or head for if you are Sue's daughter.

Richard