We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungle Beach?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jungle Beach?

Hi Everyone,

I see some conflicting reports: Some say main beach at Unawatuna is too crowded and narrow, too built up? Some say that the beach is dirty and bad at Jungle Beach? I've heard about Lucky Tuna? Is that on Jungle Beach?

We are staying in Galle Fort for two nights(been there before, love it) and need a nice daytime beach?? We will after go to Mirissa, so that's not a possibility.....Thanks for any help...

Ranger Bob Oslo, Norway

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are"

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungle Beach?

Hi there,

Jungle Beach has no infrastructure in terms of restaurants and bars. All of them are in the bay. Only option is the odd temporary hawker and Coco Bay luxury hotel/restaurant nearby.

For the rest it's not bad, smallish but more quiet than main beach. Both are about as clean or dirty and on par with normal narrow Lankan beaches.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungle Beach?

Jungle beach is smaller, quieter and much more cleaner than the main beach. The water there is much much better compared to the main beach (I visited it just the previous Sunday)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungle Beach?

Well 'cleaner' will really depend on the prevailing wind. Unlike the Bay the Jungle Beach directly faces Galle Port with its dirty oil-soaked water, and any smallish piece of Southwestern wind can deposit that on Jungle Beach too :-(

Tnx anyhow,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungle Beach?

Thanks people,

But where is Lucky Tuna? It seems that beach has infrastructure and restaurants?

Ranger Bob Oslo, Norway

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungle Beach?

Hi again,

As written: " has no infrastructure in terms of restaurants and bars. All of them are in the bay." And Lucky Tuna is meant to be included in that 'All of them' ;-)

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

somerset uk
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungle Beach?

There was a small beach bar/wooden shack type place at Jungle Beach when I was there in November. Not sure if it sold beer but it did have snack food and soft drinks. Lucky Tuna is roughly in the middle of Unawatuna bay but no longer has any sand in front of it, just a small "terrace" with a few tables and chairs and the sea washing up against it. I have never found Jungle Beach or Unawatuna to be dirty.

Richard

London, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Jungle Beach?

Hi

Unawatuna is a crowded stretch of beach as there are many hotels and restaurants on less than 1km of beach front. But that in itself gives a nice atmosphere. If you are looking at a similar experience with a less crowd check out mirissa.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jungle Beach?

Last week Jungle beach was "disgusting" lots of trash, not to mention "other" stuff that was laying around. Unfortunately when the school holidays kick in, locals hit the beach and they don't care much for the environment :(

While Unawatuna main beach is very clean, but most of the beach is occupied by beach beds and umbrellas and etc, a bit too many for my taste.

9. Re: Jungle Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna