We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

Heading to Unawatuna last week of March. In my experience in travelling to a beach, I've found that it's best to wait to get there and find a good one instead of booking and paying beforehand and end up staying someplace you don't like.

Is this true in Unawatuna at the end of March? Are there great places to stay that are maybe not listed on the internet?

Any advice would be great.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,469 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

Hi there,

I'd prebook for the first night, and use that as a base for searching further. It's end of high season hence there should be vacant rooms. If you arrive in a hurry, and packed with luggage, searching for a room that not really helps the bargaining position.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

thanks, that's what i was thinking too. We'll be arriving actually on March 21 early morning and staying for the next week. end of high season still ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,469 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

Yes, later in April until early July the town closes partly down except for the weekends but upto then it's main season.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: should i book a hotel before or find one when i get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:19