We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

Which Tambor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

Hi all,

What is a good rental car company that we can pick up the car at Tambor airport and return it at Liberia airport. I have emails in to Vamos & Solid but not hearing anything back from them regarding Tambor.

Maybe they do not deliver to Tambor airport?

Is there a recommended car rental at Tambor airport? This is the closest airport to where we are staying in Santa Teresa

thanks

8 replies to this topic
philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

After researching, seems like Vamos and Alamo can both do pick up car in Tambor and return to Liberia airport. Prices from each are pretty much equal, Alamo was $54 less. After reading everything about Vamos will more than likely go with them.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
508 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

Just so you know, there isn't really an airport in Tambor. There is an air strip, and that's it. There is a car rental agency in town, or at least there was 2 years ago when we were last there. But I don't remember the name of the agency. So I guess Alamo and Vamos will be picking you up at the strip and taking you back to their office, wherever that may be. When are you travelling? We will be there in October.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

Thanks for the info - going in March 2015 and discovered it was too long to drive to Santa Teresa from Liberia airport when the plane arrives at 1:30pm so have to take a local to Tambor.

Both agencies said they could deliver to Tambor so will see what happens. 5th trip for us to CR but never down in southern Nicoya

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

We are renting a car in Alajuela and returning it in Tambor through Vamos. There was a drop off charge but with the Costa Rica discount card, we saved 20% so that helped.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
508 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

I will be in Tambor in October. I'll try to remember to look and see which rental car company is there. Actually, I have to call my friend in Tambor pretty soon. She probably knows. I'll post here when I find out. We are moving there in December and will most likely use a rental car for awhile until we actually buy a car, so I need to find out about renting in San Jose and possibly having the car picked up in Tambor.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
508 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

I just Googled it. Budget is in Tambor. I have never used them, but now we all know they are there!

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

If I am doing the rental through Vamos and they say they will have the car at Tambor airport when I arrive - do they work with whichever rental agency is at Tambor and that is actually who I would be renting from - I want to make sure my rental is actually from Vamos and not another company.

Seaturtlewoman - you mentioned you are moving to CR - retiring? What made you decide on CR? My husband and I have a few more years left and have been seriously thinking about getting out of the USA

Edited: 17 July 2014, 13:51
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
508 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia

I am only guessing, but I imagine Vamos will show up, not Budget. For all I know they might have an office in Cobano or Paquera or something. Yes, the hubby and I are retiring. Actually, I took early retirement 4 years ago and have been biding my time until my husband was vested in his pension. He is not of retirement age, so we will be living off my pension. We first vacationed in CR in 2002. At that time I noticed there was a lot of land for sale, so I thought it might be a good investment. From there we discovered how many people were retiring to CR, so we bought a lot in Tambor in 2004. And now we have sold our house and will be relocating in December. My hubby loves to scuba dive, fish, and swim, so we bought property right by the beach. We really love CR. The people are friendly, and we like the laid back atmosphere.

Reply to: Good rental car company - pick up Tambor - return at Liberia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted