We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

Brighton
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

I'm planning to cycle from ferry terminal at Ouistreham to Port-en-Bessin. Google map shows route following D514. Is this a safe route? Has anyone experience of cycling along this coast?

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

Hi not sure if you have a date for doing this but it is perfectly feasible a friend of mine did this in June and she is 70 and a keen cyclist, unfortunately the weather was against her in that it was blowing a gale and very hard rain but she did make it and to the other side of Bayeux heading towards Isigny with no problems.

Its not a fast road regarding traffic as it passes through the villages but in parts it is almost single track through some of the older villages so as ever be vigilent and also beware of tractors too. It will be a very pleasant experience passing by the many old churches and houses along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
Brighton
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

Hi - Many thanks for that bit of information. I'd better not embarrass myself then, as I'm 20 years younger than your friend, though my cycling experience is fairly limited. Sounds crazy but I have to drive the family to Port-en-Bressin and go back to UK for 2 days and go back to join them. Only economical way of doing it is to do it on the bike. Cheers.

Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

On another point the parking at Ouistreham is free at the terminal and for two days its not as if you have abandoned your car and if your family are in Port en Bessin they have most facilities of beach, shops, cafes etc. but you may have somewhere a little outside the immediate town then it would pose a problem if you have small children or mobility problems. Oh well I am sure you will enjoy the ride and it will be an achievement ! Good Luck.

Évreux...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain

Here is some general information about cycling in Normandy:

www.normandie-tourisme.fr/cycling-212-2.html

Bon voyage!

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Cycle route Ouistreham to Omaha Beach/Port-en-Bessin-Huppain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted