We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircraft noise

Which Kokkini Hani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton
5 posts
Save Topic
Aircraft noise

Hi everyone,

Could someone please advise me re aircraft noise in Kokkini Hani. Most reviews don't seem to mention it at all, but a few have, so I don't know if it is an issue or not and if it is, how bad it might be. Also, would it be all day and night?

We are hoping to travel in about 2 weeks, and I wondered whether it would lessen somewhat in late September?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
297 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircraft noise

Yes you are subject to loud aircraft noise in Kokkini Hani. If you look at a map of Kokkini you will see that the end of the runway is very close and the aircraft usually land from the east heading westwards over Kokkini. Also depending on the direction of the wind you will here aircraft firing up their engines for takeoff at the Kokkini end of the runway. Some days are more busy that others and it's certainly not a scenario like Heathrow where it is constant all day however you will get periods where 3 of 4 aircraft will follow easch other in and then there will be a gap. I usually stay in Gouves which is just along the coast and still subject to aircraft noise and most of the time I personally don't notice it. This link shows you the flight arrivals for today www.flightstats.com/go/weblet… Please note that where 5 airlines appear to land at the same time from Athens this will only be one aircraft.

I only came back from Crete on Weds after 2 weeks and certainly did not notice that volume of planes landing it all depends how sensitive you are to noise and if you are woken easily.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircraft noise

<< it all depends how sensitive you are to noise and if you are woken easily.>>

nikfik has hit the nail on the head there.

If you live in a semi-urban environment I doubt you will notice any noise at night, particularly if you have air-con on and shutters closed.

I've stayed in KH twice, (and Gouves several times as well) and the flight path is just out to sea - if you look at the map of the airport you can see where it will be. Planes are almost always coming in to land over KH, so there is no full throttle as there would be if they were taking off. I can't say I've ever noticed any take-off noise, but I guess it must be there; we live 7 miles from MAN here, and if the wind is blowing in the right direction we can hear it sometimes.

At that time the numbers will be decreasing a bit, but they do arrive at most hours of the day and night. Personally I've never found the noise to be a problem, but it really depends on you.

Northampton
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aircraft noise

Thank you both very much for your replies. We are not overly sensitive to noise, but I am a little concerned that flights occur through the night as well as day. We have considered Gouves also, and I hadn't realised that aircraft noise was evident there also, although I assume it is less obtrusive as it is a little further out than Kokkini Hani?

southport
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aircraft noise

Hi We have stayed in KH twice and we are returning again in 3 weeks time, I can honestly say we have never heard any of the aircraft taking off at all, there is obviously noise from them during the day but we have never been disturbed from them during the night,

Birmingham
Level Contributor
297 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aircraft noise

Yes it is less obtrusive over Gouves and really doesn't bother me. It's over quickly and I have certainly never been woken up at night. As Steve says above the planes are almost always coming in to land over Gouves and Kokkini so there is less noise than during take off. There may be a few less aircraft in late September but not an amount that would be noticable.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aircraft noise

Was in KH in june and honestly didn't have a problem... in fact we had fun sitting outside the Whiskey bar of an evening watching the planes come in...

ATB,J.

7. Re: Aircraft noise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2015, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Kokkini Hani
Recent Conversations