We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Question

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Question

Hello again, looking for moderate prices with and without waterfront views or just whatever you might feel would work for a small group of about 8 people. We plan on hiking the Samarin Gorge and seeing other nearby sites, maybe even that island to the south, forget the name. We will arrive on about June 11th and stay about 7 nights. I have only seen Matala and was wondering also how Paleochora compares, it seems to offer more. On or about the 7th night we will head to Chaina to catch the morning, 10 am ?, ferry to Santorini, does this sound like a good agenda?

Thanks!!!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Question

Hi there

Matala is well worth a visit but it's certainly NOT a good location from which to do the Samaria Gorge. It would be an impossibly long ride to do the gorge from Matala, so if it;'s definitely on the agenda, then you need to base yourselves in Chania or in one of the south coast towns like Paleohora

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Question

Paleochora is the plan, Matala is nice but I don't think I'll being going there this trip. Early June shouldn't be that hard as far as booking now goes, just a matter of finding a palce. I'll check the reviews here on TA.

Telscombe Cliffs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Question

Not too many places on the sandy beach (west) side have an actual waterfront view but among those that do is the Sandy Beach Hotel, also the Poseidon Hotel has some rooms overlooking the beach. Among studios close to the beach of which I have first-hand (or close friends recommendations) knowledge are -

Anthea rooms/apartments

Poseidon apartments (same owner but about 200 metres from hotel)

Zygos studios

Villa Marise hotel apartments (very new block right on the beach), including the older Europa and Candia aprtments

Hotel Elman - also on the beach.

On the west (stoney beach) side there are several with sea views.

There are almost countless rooms and apartments in Paleochora - greekhotels.gr/crete_hotels/chania_hotels/pa…

gives a good selection.

I completely agree with GB re walking the Samaria Gorge. Pale' is a great location for this. A coach leaves the village at c.0630 for the trip to Omalos plain at the top of the gorge and you return by ferry from Agia Romeli at the bottom end direct to Paleochora. Do wear well-fitting footwear (not - repeat - not flip-flops, as I've seen some foolish souls do) - the first hour or so of the walk is all downhill on a very uneven rocky path and is hard on the ankles/knees. After the downhill (Xyloskala) the rest of the walk is straightforward with only gentle gradients, although much of the path is rough.

Paleochora is bliss in June - I will be there myself again this year - so enjoy.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,912 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Question

Hi,

I have stayed in Paleochora a number of times and Matala.

The basic difference is Paleochora is more an actual village than Matala and less prone to the daytripper element in Matala. Though the latter is avoided by people staying in Matala as they head for Red Beach or Komo thus dodging the daytripper element to a large extent. Come the evening it's only the people staying there.

Paleochora does offer more all round as it can be used for a number of hiking routes in the area and also the south coast ferry. The beaches in the area are at least the equal of Matala as well.

Paleochora has a load of small hotels and 'rooms for rent' all over town, much in the same vein as Matala so you'll know the sort of thing. Nowhere I have have stayed has a website, or booking facilities which is pretty much the norm in Greece for a lot of accommodation.

Whilst you may get a ferry to Gavdos, in your timescale highly unlikely to be able to fit that in.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Question

Thanks, great info!!!

paleohora
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Question

Try also www.arishotel.net for accomodation.

REgards

Aris Liatakis

paleohora
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Question

Yes

Chania
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging Question

Try also www.caravella.gr for accomodation.

Best Regards,

Monic

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging Question

I've stayed at Aris, and liked it a lot. It's right at the end of the village, about 500 meters from the dock, and very quiet. They are used to accommodating small walking groups, so I think it would be a good place for you.

I agree with those who have said that Paleochora is a good location for walking the Samaria gorge. Sougia would be too - much smaller and quieter, and very nice.

You haven't said when you are going. There have been problems with the south coast ferries this year, and Anendyk haven't yet posted their schedule even for April! If you are going at any time between early June and end September, they should have got their act together for the season. Before June it may be a little iffy, and you'll have to check when you get there. In May last year the Agia Roumeli-Sougia-Paleochora run was made only three times a week, and if that happened again you'd have to plan your gorge walk accordingly.

Cork Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging Question

We have stayed in George Studios a number of times.

www.studiosgeorge.gr/paleochora-studios.php…

Very Pleasant owner lives on premises. Very reasonable and good location for walking.

Further round the coast by ferry is Loutro. Another good location for walks.

Send private email if you need any further help/info.