We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of credit cards

East Bergholt...
Level Contributor
74 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Use of credit cards

Hi could I check if credit cards are widely used in restaurants/bars/shops in Paleochora region or is cash king?!

Thks

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use of credit cards

Some places will accept a credit card, but please, these people are under enough pressure with increased taxes etc without the additional costs from credit card providers. So yes, cash is king !

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Use of credit cards

Cashis king in Crete. There are ATM:s in Paleochora, so you will not have any problems.

East Bergholt...
Level Contributor
74 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Use of credit cards

Thanks for the responses. I was Paleochora last year and only used cash but could not remember if I could use cards as a back up.

Heading there end Sept and can't wait!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Use of credit cards

I totally agree that during the current crippling financial crisis, the business owners of Paleochora need all the cash they can get without the hassle of credit cards being used and the additional taxation these bring them.

Cash is definitely king in Paleo.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Use of credit cards

Cash is king all over Greece - but if you "have to" then many establishments will still take credit cards for larger purchases - but as everyone else has said, please do try and use cash if possible :-)

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Use of credit cards

I Agree with most of the comments below it that most restaurants accept credit cards but do prefer cash. Of course it does not take the brains of an archbishop to work out why cash is preferred does it. It leaves no trace and can be help with avoiding business tax. I am not being funny, but one if the reasons why Greece got into the financial mess it is in is because businesses and individuals didn't pay their taxes. As a businessman, who has done business in Greece I think this is collective financial suicide and that Greece will eventually be back looking for further help in 2-3 years. Remember this post when it happens. In the meantime, pay by card it is no more expensive. Cheers.

7. Re: Use of credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:16