We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stalis help

Leitrim, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Stalis help

Going to Stalis with my Fiance at the end of June. Can somebody tell me what kind of place it is, what we can do, where to eat, what kind of weather to expect etc. Thank you

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stalis help

Stalis is a busy resort with lots of bars and restuarants but geared much more to couples and families than somewhere like Malia (a short cab ride away). The beach is great with plenty of places to hire sunbeds and umbrellas - go towards the beach area in the centre of the resort for the cheapest prices. Public transport is good, but there are lots of great places that can be reached easily if you hire a car.

My favourite places to eat are Katerina Tavera (traditional), Amici (Italian), the Jasmine House (Chinese) and Jannis Golden Heart (good traditional food but make sure you wear your mossie spray).

The weather in June should be fantastic, any more questions give me a shout.

Leitrim, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stalis help

Thank you for your reply - You mentioned mossie spray - I presume you are talking about mosquitos - Are they bad in Crete?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stalis help

Hi there

The mosquitoes are no worse on Crete than anywhere else really. They prefer really humid evenings when the temp can still be in the low to mid 20's, especially if you are close to water. June can see temps such as those in the evenings so go prepared with something like "Buzz Off", a repellant spray from Boots or Superdrug which really deters the mozzies plus it's safe to use on your face.

Use a plug in at night in your apartment- they are cheap and effective but if you do get nibbled, resist the temptation to scratch it and apply an ammonia based gel which reduces swelling and itching and dries the bite up quickly.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stalis help

I only mention mossies as in this partucular restaurant (Jannis) there are beautuful plants and flowers surrounding the eating area and the little blighters love the environment. Great restuarant though with good food so don't let that put you off just remember to spray :-)

Stockport, United...
Destination Expert
for Makry-Gialos
Level Contributor
377 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stalis help

Having just returned from Crete I can tell you that we were quite fortunate with bites, however my wife did get a few. The best treatment was the local raki as we were advised by the locals.

Not down the throat though, that was my job!

Doggy

Leitrim, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stalis help

Can trip advisors who have been to Stalis before give their recommendations for the following:

1) Best restaurants

2) Best bars

3) Best excursions

4) Best waterpark

5) Best things to do

Also what are the prices like in Crete? Is there any items (clothes, electronic equipment, drink, tobaco, etc) that are cheap and worth buying over there?

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stalis help

Well I mentioned my favourite restaurants in an earliler post. As for bars we don't get aroudn that many but do qute like the Irish House and O'Dwyers is supposed to be quite good as well, I'm sure others have more recommendations.

Excursions will depend on whether you're hiring a car or not. We have one for the 2 weeks we're there and if you do get one I would recommend Spinalonga, go from the village of Plaka and have a meal in one of the fish restaurants that look out to the island while you're there. The Lasithi Plateau, the villages of Sissi and Milatos. You can then of course visit Heraklion and Knossos. All these places are within an easy drive of Stalis although there are also many travel agencies you can use in the town if you choose not to hire a car.

No idea about waterparks sorry but if you do a search I know this question has been answered many times.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stalis help

There is a huge waterpark (called Watercity) near the village of Anapoli between Gouves and Heraklion. It is fairly well signposted and unusually high up on a hill to the South of the main East/West National Road and the village of Kokkini. It is about a 20 minute drive from Stalis - although many in our hotel actually took taxis to it!

There are every type of restaurant imaginable in Stalis and some are very good - I agree with one of the posters that Jannis is an excellent choice but it does get busy as the food and service is usually very good.

It will be hot!!!

9. Re: Stalis help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Stalis