We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northern ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

We have just returned from Stalis in Crete. After visiting Zante 2 years in a row we decided to try a different Greek Island, unfortunately we were very disappointed.

Stalis was centred round a long strip, which i would discribe as Blackpool in the sun. Not that i dislike Blackpool, but when you go to Greece, it is little white houses and scenic views i am after.

Zante was like paradise unfortunately Stalis is not. No entertainment apart from a few Irish Bars, which i didnt want to sit in while on holiday.

We stayed in Nikos in Stalis, although these apartments are situated well (on outskirts of Stalis) that is all they are. Advertised as family accomodation more liken 18-30. To many young noisy groups one being next door making noise until 4am in morning and when they got up in the afternoons taking over the pool. Would not recommend weekly barbeque, did not enjoy. Towels changed every 4 days, toilet bin emptied every 2 days, beds changed weekly(not good enough) All restaurants we ate in were very good especially Marias, but would not return to Stalis. Zante is the true Greece we love not man made like Stalis for the British.

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Hi,

It's a shame you were disappointed with your holiday, but Stalis is very far from traditional Crete. Like you we love Zakynthos, but after having been burgled on a fairly expensive villa rental holiday in Vassilikos five years ago we have'nt been back (yet!).

Give Crete another chance with a visit over to the west or south, we're hooked!

All the best,

Gillian

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Hi Matthew

Please dont write off Crete on the basis of one resort. - Koutoulafari is a small village uphill from Hersonissos (and not too far from Stalis). Having been here and Zakynthos many times, Koutoulafari is more true Greece than Zakynthos (in my opinion). Its a small little resort set up in the hills with stunning veiws over Hersonissos bay and plenty of excellent tavernas and some chilled out, relaxing bars. No 18-30 types here.

Also, I belive the western side of Crete is much less touristy (cant get there from Ireland unfortunalty so Im only going by what I heard)

Its a pity your holiday didnt turn out as you would have liked (we've all expericened that - nothing worse) - at least you have an excuse to go back to Greece next year to make up for it :D

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Absolutely right......I would HATE to stay in a 'Blackpool in the sun' sort of place and yet go back to Crete time and time again.

The Island is HUGE and it is easy to avoid the (relatively) small strip of resorts along part of the North coast........BTW I personally don't have a problem with them as being concentrated in one area, I know where NOT to go.. LOL!

There are many, many areas that would have suited you better and would have given you a chance to experience the 'real Crete'.

I'm so sorry that you were disappointed but you have not yet, it seems, seen what Crete is all about.

Give it another go and stay away from that immediate area, you will be pleasantly surprised. :O) :O) :O)

London, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

What i don't understand is that you can come on here a submit a review of stalis but you could not do any homework before you booked the holiday,

surely if you had done this you would have a rough idea what stalis is like.

there are many reviews stating that stalis is not authentically Greek.

It just goes to prove what great websites like TA are.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Hi there

Yes, I'm sorry you felt let down by Stalis but a bit of research prior to booking would have given you a good idea of what to expect. It is sandwiched between the island's two party resorts of Hersonissos and Malia so understandably, some of that frantic scene may well spill into Stalis and indeed, many youngsters might stay in Stalis as a central point between the two party towns.

Crete is vast, and there are areas of the island that have changed little in the past 50 years. I'm guessing that your two trips to Zakynthos were your first ever trips to Greece and the island left a lasting impression upon you which unfortunately, Stalis wasn't able to recreate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

>>when you go to Greece, it is little white houses and scenic views i am after<<

If you mean the "sugar cube" houses, you need to go to the Cyclades, not Crete. Try Mykonos, Naxos, Santorini, Paros etc.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Sorry that you didnt enjoy your holiday to Stalis, it does get many returning visitors each year, and sometimes its very difficult to judge what someones ideal holiday would be. Stalis wouldnt be my choice for a holiday, its a bit too in your face for me with too many British type pubs and no Greek feel to the place because its a purpose built tourist resort.

I agree with other posts please dont disregard Crete in the future its a huge island with so many different resorts that I am sure you will find one that suits you and your family, for example somewhere like Elounda or Agios. I think as a general rule if you stay away from Malia, Stalis and Hersonisssos you will be fine. So its is possible to get a more authentic feel to a resort from somewhere on the north east coast.

I usually recommend that people look at youtube before selecting a resort as it gives you a feel for what the place is actually like.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Hi Matthew

I too am sorry that Stalis did not suit your requirements. As MG100 says above Stalis does get many repeat visitors, including me, each year so must have something going for it even if it wasn't for you. I agree with other posters that you need to do your home work on a resort/accommodation before booking.

You will not be surprised to hear me say that I don't recognise the Stalis you talk about, ie. "Blackpool in the Sun" as we love our holidays there and also out and about on days out over Crete. Still, each to their own and what suits one does not suit another, as they say. Better luck next time with your holiday choice in finding what suits you and your family.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

We maybe will but not next year. We spend around £4,500 on our yearly holiday and dont want to be disappointed again.

Will go back to Zante like you should as in all our years of going aboard we have not found anywhere that we like as much

northern ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stalis-Blackpool in the Sun

Thanking you all for your replys, i will say that in going aboard for over 20 years Stalis is one of the most British resorts we have been to, you would not know that is was Greece if someone had have blindfolded you and then removed it when you got there.

Everyone to their own is correct but we like to go to a country and feel that you are not bringing Britain with you.

We should have researched better, but we have learnt from this experience and will move on

Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations