We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreaded Mozzies

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dreaded Mozzies

We are going to Stalis in mid September for 2 weeks, what is the area like for Mozzies. Will we need to take insect repellant and a room plug in ?. Staying at the Anastasia Hotel. Thanks for any advice. Norvys.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Hi I think the general advice, for anywhere in Greece, is to expect/plan for mozzies.

Precautionary stuff doesn't weigh much and I never go without it as life can be miserable if the little s**s are around.

I would definitely take plug-ins and a small mozzie repellent spray at the very least.

There are many posts on here ( if you use the search facility) giving general advice but the main thing is................

Be prepared and don't let them get you down. :O) :O)

Grimsby
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Thanks for your prompt reply Cretaholic, just as I thought the little blighters are everywhere I want to go for my holidays ! Never mind I am used to going prepared, avon woodland fresh, dry oil spray at the ready, works a treat. I never let them spoil my holiday : ) cheers

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Yes, they are in Stalis in September as they are everywhere else in Greece and around the Med!

Plug-ins and spray are essential items we pack in our suitcase. We buy 'Boots Repel' and this works a treat and keeps them at bay when we are in Stalis. Have the plug-ins on from dusk til dawn whenever you are in your room and apply the spray before you go out at night to your arms, legs & neck and you should be ok. Maybe the odd 'rogue' bite if you are unlucky but if you religeously follow these rules then you could escape their bite altogether!

County Armagh...
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

just a little note, if a late flight and if at all possible get the mozzie spray out of your case while in the airport and spray liberally before getting transfer to your accom. Sometimes the little blighters attack even before you set foot outside the airport!

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Always found May to be the worst month for them in Greece but this year in May in Crete we had 1 bite between 7 of us in a week. Its just hit and miss I think ! Good luck !

Grimsby
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Thank you all for your welcome advice, will try boots for the repel, and the advice to take some in the hand luggage for the airport, although we should arrive in the afternoon I would like to be prepared for any delays. Don't wan't any bites to spoil the fun. Roll on September.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Watch that you don't get hand luggage liquids confiscated at security. Lost a valuable consignment of spray repellent this way last year.

Post-bite, Fenestil gel, available from any local pharmacy, works really well for me.

Grimsby
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Will make sure it is only 100ml spray to be safe, have had alcohol confiscated at Schipol coming back from Malaysia when we joined a connecting flight back to the UK, just because we didn't buy it in Schipol airport, greedy customs! am completely aware of how nasty they can be. Thanks for the reminder though. What is this Fenestil gel and how does it work ?

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

It's just a clear gel that you rub on a bite to stop it from itching. It's the most effective anti-itching solution I've found, and believe me I've been plagued by mozzie bites to the point of quite a severe infection.

Kirkwall
Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreaded Mozzies

Yes, the scent of Crete - Thyme wafting off the hills, freshly lit charcoal in the early evening and ammonia from the Fenestil - would'nt swap it for anything!! Am loading up on the antihistamines and that Avon stuff, B6....anything - the little buggers aren't getting me this year!