We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Hello

Could anyone give any ideas or advise on how much a family of 4 will spend in stalis in 2 weeks (roughly). Self catering, evening meals eating out. Will also want to do a couple of day trips especially to spinalonga and a waterpark. Thank you

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Mitselakis – thanks for your detailed reply to the original post. I was a bit surprised to read "And by the way cash is still the only way to pay at many restaurants....". We are travelling to Stalis for 2 weeks on Tuesday, and I picked up my Euros today. I must admit that I was assuming I’d be able to do the majority of spending (in both restaurants and supermarkets) on my credit card. Are you saying that’s not the case? I’ve still got time to go and get some more Euros if necessary!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Just got back from rethymnon and had a fantastic time but we did find it expensive. Some examples - spinnalonga excursion including boat and entry fee €37pp, average price per meal for 2 at a taverna including salad, main and a drink each €25, gyros in the old town €2.50, 500ml beer varies between €3 to €5, pack of Greek brand biscuits £1.40 upwards, twix €1.40.

My advice to you would be to get your euro's as small nomination as possible so you have better change for paying meal and drink bills. We had a meal that cost €32 but only had €20's so had to leave €40 and often drinks would cost around €7 but we only had a €10.

Most places bring the bill and don't return to collect payment till you leave so it's hard to get any Change back. We would also feel cheeky or tight asking for any. But all these tips on top of already expensive meals and drinks soon add up!

I would say Crete is definitely more expensive than the UK and if your used to places like turkey (we are) then it's quite a big shock, especialy excursions as all you seem to pay for is the coach ride.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 20:44
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

The prices in the restaurants & tavernas in Stalis do vary somewhat, so you can get a meal for less than stated above in several places. One of the best value for money places is Hellas Taverna, which also happens to be one of our favourite restaurants in Stalis.

We pay in cash everywhere we go and always manage to get our change by waiting for the waiter to come back with it, out of which we leave a tip dependent upon the service and experience we have had in the restaurant. We take some euros to last the first few days, then lift money out of a cash machine using a debit card every couple of days thereafter.

Organised excursions are the most expensive way of doing them. In Mashers case he has two ways of going to Spinalonga from Stalis - either by using the bus service into Agios Nikolaos (and then another bus down to Plaka if he wishes to get the boat from here - my preference!) or with his hire car.

Some bars & restaurants are more expensive and some cheaper and after a couple of days in resort you can start to work out the ones which are a little cheaper. The important thing is to enjoy your hard earned holiday whatever.

Happy holidays everyone.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 21:15
Hersonissos, Greece
Level Contributor
254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Hi Masher.....

You will not be too popular using a credit or ATM card in a supermarket. they do not have tills linked to card machines here, they have to go across the other side of the supermarket to put the card through a machine, then come back to get you and your ID if it wants a PIN, then after the CC transaction is completed they have to come back to the till to put their copy into the till and ring the transaction off!! And meanwhile the queue is building up behind you!!

And small supermarkets do not even have card machines!

Even the big Carrefour in Iraklion has to do this! And Praktiker the new DIY store does actually have a credit card machine on each checkout but not connected to the cash register as you are probably used to!

In expensive restaurants, and I mean expensive, they will take a card but in others they do not want to know about them, the Greek banks charge a 4 or 5% for processing the card payments, Amex cards get charged a whopping 7.5%

You do not need to bring cash in euros, just bring your ATM card or credit card and use that for drawing cash as you need it...Just bring a few euros to get you started, and check with your bank that your ATM card will work abroad....I seem to remember at least one 'cashpoint' in Stalis, but it is not far to either Malia or Hersonissos where there is a choice of 7 different banks.

Edited: 05 August 2011, 06:57
Hersonissos, Greece
Level Contributor
254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

I just noticed that we seemed to have got on to the subject of tips here and getting your change....Rethymno must be a very odd placed indeed if you cannot get change.....

If you are due for change you wave the money at the waiter and then you sit and wait for it....Don't just walk out, I don't know of anywhere around Hersonissos where you don't wait for change, as always never be in a hurry to leave a restaurant......They weren't in a hurry to serve you so don't be in a hurry to leave......And if you are only getting a drink for 7€ and give them €10 then you get your change and do not leave a tip....

My advice here on tips is just leave a euro or maybe two, or just leave the odd few coins up to the nearest whole euro......Many Greeks when they go out do not leave a tip at all so why should you??

NPJ is quite right about the excursions, if there are two of you for the same price as the excursion of €37 each, you can rent a card for 4 days and see a lot more!!

€25 for two at a taverna sounds good, but what did you get for that, you should have got two starters, two decent mains and at least half a litre of wine and a beer......Couldn't get decent food like you get in here in Brighton for that price! The wine alone would have been over £10 for a start

Prices are very subjective things, and depend a lot where you come from in the UK. The price of a 'gnat's urine' beer in some Brighton pubs for instance is around £2.50 a pint, and visitors come here and say that 500ml for €3/4 is expensive, but it is twice the strength (if not more) of the stuff they are used to drinking. These are the ones that spend their holiday moaning about headaches and bad stomachs as they do not appreciate that they have doubled their alcohol intake by drinking decent beer!

The point is that wherever you go on holiday you have to pay the local prices...If you want to go somewhere really expensive try going to Australia, the prices there are often double what you pay in the UK or Greece, and I am not talking about the airfare!

Edited: 05 August 2011, 07:27
Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Thanks again Mitselakis - glad I asked about the use of credit cards! Having travelled in various countries in recent years, and only used cash for small items, it hadn’t occurred to me that Greece would still be largely a cash-based society. Anyway, as you say, we will take our ATM cards (debit cards) and draw extra cash as we need it. Only four days to go, and we’re so much looking forward to it. I’ve had my “Get by in Greek” CDs playing in the car for weeks now, much to the annoyance of the rest of the family!

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Access to cash is easy in Stalis with several cash machines along the beach road. The nearest to where Masher is staying is to come down onto the beach road, turn left and it is no more than 100 yards on the left shortly after the bakery.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Mitselakis I do like to tip for a nice meal etc. I tried to give an honest account of my experience in order to help others. Meals were probably in line with UK prices but honestly everything else isn't drinks, food from super markets, clothes, gifts are all quite a bit more expensive than UK.

Please don't compare going to another country in europe to going to Australia! How about we compare Crete to Turkey as they're neighbours? I can get picked up at my hotel, taken to a boat given dinner taken around some beautiful islands and bought back to my hotel after about 10 hours for £10 to £15 pp then I can enjoy a beer for less than £2 and pick up a packet of biscuits for back at the hotel for about 40p. A meal would be slightly less but not by much.

It may sound like I'm moaning and didn't enjoy Crete, but honestly I loved it and will return. I just wanted to give my experience of prices so it might help others.

NORTHUMBERLAND
Level Contributor
49 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

Hi leenem2, I have visiited stalis for the last 3 years and really love it !!!! Take on board what people say and you will be fine. Yes look around for the places the Greeks frequent that is where you wil find the most reasonable prices .Dont buy expensive english brands at the supermarkets the local stuff is just as good! The best places to eat... in my opion was Marias golden beach,,,, the kids always get free icecream {not many english resturauntsdo that} Kaliana , jasmine house,artemis and el greco, infact I have never had a bad meal anywhere. We will be returning 6th sept for 2 weeks and I cant wait. Enjoy your holiday YAMAS!!!! Kim

20. Re: Budget for 2 weeks for family of four??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations