We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing sterling to euros?

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheffield england
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Changing sterling to euros?

Hi Will be in Crete 2 weeks tomorrow!!!! Is there any problem changing sterling to euros? Also what is the exchange rate? We are staying at the Amazones in Stalis - has anyone stayed there - how far is it from the Edem Bar? Thanx

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

My advice would be to take euros with you rather than sterling.

The Edem Bar is at the end of the beach road from the direction where you would walk in from the Amazones, so would be say 6-7 mins walk or so, certainly less than 10 mins.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

Hi - I hear what you say - however we have never had problems changing st erling abroad - in fact the exchange rate is often better than here in the uk. Has this changed because of the problems Greece is facing at the moment? Are you saying that sterling will not be exchanged anywhere in Stalis or perhaps the exchange rate will be poor? On our last visit to Stalis two years ago, we exchanged our sterling in a place opposite Edem Bar (can't remember its name)..

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

Oh no, I'm certainly not saying that you won't be able to exchange sterling. And I doubt whether anything has changed consequent of the current economic situation at present.

Most people tend to do it the other way round and take euro as currency rather than sterling, maybe topping up with a debit card from an ATM. But it is all down to personal preference I suppose.

Have a good holiday - I have to wait until Sept before my return to Stalis.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

We used to take a bit in euro's and the rest in sterling to change when over there, the last couple of years however the rate has always been slightly better at home so we've switched to taking all in euro's - stash it in the safe in our room. We still take a bit of sterling 'just incase' but have not usually needed it and end up going home with euro's.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

Hi we stayed at the Amazones 18 mths ago, lovely place to stay, very clean and spacious apartments. Watch out for the microwave press the stop button before opening the door or it continues to work when you open the door, these are at child height. Other than that lovely pool, bar and people.

sheffield england
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

Thanx - we are really looking forward to our hols - Amazones sounds lovely! Just 13 dys to go yayyyyyyy

Lancashire
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

Does anyone have any idea what the exchange rate is in resort? Some friends of ours got 1.22 at a 'cheque cashing' place in town that also does foreign exchange. Can't see it being any better than that in Stalis?

Cheers - Claire

8. Re: Changing sterling to euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:46
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations