We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do near Stalis

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
things to do near Stalis

Hey All!

I need some advice regarding things to do in Crete near Stalis. We (me and my boyfriend, bouth 30 years old) are going for a one week vacation from 12.08.2012. So I am interested to find some activities like rent a boat and have some day trip (but not the usual excursion programme), maybe there is some good bicycle rout near Stalis? Also we would like to rent a car for one day - can anyone suggest what are things to see in one day and not very far from Stalis?

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward for some help :)

And counting the days to get to Crete :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do near Stalis

Hi there

What sort of things are of interest to you, that would make it easier to make some suggestions as to what to see. Thank you.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do near Stalis

Hi there

On the day you rent a car I would recommend a trip up to Lassithi Plateau. This is a plateau up in the mountains behind Stalis which is a wonderful natural place with several old traditional villages dotted along the circumference road which encircles the plateau. Access the plateau via the mountain villages of Mohos and Krassi. The former has a village square lined by tavernas and a good place to stop for breakfast and refreshments. The latter is an old mountain village with the oldest tree in Crete.

Other places to stop off at on the way up is a monastry just after you go through Krassi and the Homo Sapiens Museum just before you get to the plateau. Fantastic views on the way up and down as well as the scenery on the plateau itself.

Hope this helps to give you a good idea for a good day out and have a great holiday.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do near Stalis

One more thing - we always hire a car or jeep from Kourites which is along the beach road one min past Maria's Golden Beach restaurant and opposite the Edem Bar. Good friendly, reliable service and I can highly recommend them. Have a look at their website www.kourites.gr/

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do near Stalis

:)

The most of all I would preffer some bicycling. But I can't understand how common it is for Crete and is it easy to organize.

Thank you very much NPJ60, I already have read about Lassithi Plateau, but can't find it in google maps :)

Also I found information about Crete safari by jeeps. Does someone knows something about that - is it worth to try this and which tours can you suggest?

And what are the prices?

Yes and also - how common in Crete is discussing the prices, I mean if their price for car is 50eur per day, can we try to talk to get it cheaper?

Thank you again in advance :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do near Stalis

Hi there

Most car hire places will offer discounts to you according to how long you book the car for. For example, the daily rate might be €30, but if you booked for say 3-4 days, the rate would come down to maybe €25. Some places will offer 4 days hire for the price of 3, or 3 days for the price of 2, it varies from company to company. But you won't be able to walk in, see the rates, and offer them a much lower price. They "might" offer you a small reduction for paying in cash - this is my preferred way to pay anyway as you do not then hand over any credit card details.

6. Re: things to do near Stalis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Stalis