We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

greek food

cheshire
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
greek food

hi all

would like to try some small portions of greek food for one if this is possible.

i keep seeing recomendations for meze for two but can you get it for one?

read some restaurants do something called a greek plate for one person, what does this consist of?

regards tracey

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: greek food

Meze is usually only served as a menu item in tourist resorts, it's not really a Cretan thing, where it is usually available for 2 people. Mostly because, I think, Cretans often go out to eat in larger groups & order various plates to share. A Greek plate, is I'm guessing, the same as a Mixed Plate: usually either mixed plate fish or meat & it has a quantity of fish (usually calimari, some shrimps, fried small fishes etc) or meat (maybe a lamb chop or 3, sausage, meatball etc), with perhaps a bit of side salad, maybe some tzatziki. So yes, a sort of meze.

If you are in a village taverna, you are welcome to order 2 or 3 starters instead of a main course - no-one will mind. ie make your own meze.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: greek food

Hi there

We started to eat meze when going out with our Cretan friends, there are tavernas that only serve meze, and you get a list of cold and hot mezes, the tavern give you a list of mezes and you just tick what you would like to eat, generally speaking if there are two of you order 4 -5 different small plates of food to share .

I haven't eaten anywhere where they have a set meze for two people - its always a menu where you select your choice off a list....

A Greek plate is totally different - and it is usually a mixture of the most popular Greek dishes and you don't share this plate, - with a Greek plate you could expect to be served a stuff tomato, or stuff pepper, portion of Moussaka or a portion of Pastitsio some stuffed vine leaves, or some meat balls.... and usually its an awful lot of food and is usually only served in tourist restaurants.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: greek food

Well said,

Also usually ordering fish meze usually we order Ouzo with ice. Another good choice except from wine is Retsina, which is served cold and can equally be served both with meat or fish food.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: greek food

Hi don't know if this is of any help but I have found that most taverna owners are quite happy to accommodate you and give you 'small plates' when asked.

I have often not been able to choose and have requested a small potion of several 'mains'.

To date, this request has always been received with a 'no problem' and I haven't been overloaded with too much food or been charged too much either.. :O) :O)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: greek food

Maria's Golden Beach does a fabulous Greek Plate for one - bit of Moussaka, meatballs, vine leaves, stifado etc(if my memory serves me right) - a great way to check out what you'd like to have more of :)

6. Re: greek food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Stalis