We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Card or travellers cheques

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Card or travellers cheques

So, off to Stalis in a couple of weeks. Not been to Crete for a few years now as generally stay with family in France. Always used to take Travellers cheques, but have been advised just to take usual cash card. Are there plenty of ATMs in Stalis???

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Card or travellers cheques

Hi Tracey

My advice would be to take neither and instead take euros cash with a debit or credit card for an emergency - but do make sure that your accomodation has a safe in your room....we always take cash with us and have never had a problem....also the locals prefer cash...cash is king in Greece :-)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Card or travellers cheques

I certainly wouldn't take sterling TC's now. People where we were staying were told that only banks will now change them and they add a hefty service charge / commission.

I disagree with MG100 about taking all cash too. We got a better exchange rate through ATMs in Crete, even when the charges were added, than we could get in the UK. I'd take a couple of hundred Euros and then draw 2-300 at a time when required. Charges can mount up if you make numerous smaller withdrawals.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Card or travellers cheques

....but who wants the hassle of finding an ATM ... And let's face it unless you are changing thousands does it really matter...time is more valuable to me on my holiday

4. Re: Card or travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 August 2017, 21:45
5. Re: Card or travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations