We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Which Stalis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Hey I've been last year to stalis but was half board this year we are self catering so my question is where do small meals ? Half size ? Reason being both me and my hubby have had weight loss surgery and although he eats more then me I can at a push only manage a very small kids size meal on a good day lol . I love Greek food but always feel like they don't think I like the food coz of the tiny amount I eat and feel I have to explain myself too it's a pain at times so I hope someone can point us in the right direction many thanks justine xx

middx
Level Contributor
373 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Hi, why not choose from the starters menu? Usually a good selection, don't recall seeing anywhere with kids portions, though I wasn't looking for them, even when the children were small they just shared a main, my guess kids portions would be the nugget type meals & presume you wouldn't be after that kind of thing

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Hi there

Meze would be perfect for you :-) not sure if there are any dedicated meze restaurants in Stalis but if not as marimiddx says just choose two or three dishes of the starter menu, and then you can share these - the perfect way to eat in Crete and this is how the locals eat too :-)

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Thanks for both replys a few starters and a small salad between us is a very good option xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

We had the same problem a couple of years ago - we just couldn't finish main courses. So, like others, we started having a tomato and cucumber salad followed by a selection of starters. Usually vegetables, as it happens, such as horta, dakos, briam and maybe a mushroom dish. Left us feeling pleasantly full, but without the uncomfortable overfull feeling.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Simple, just order one main meal/dish or whatever and a plate. Divide it up as you wish into smaller portions.

It is common practice to share plates of food in Greece.

Another way is to split it over lunch and dinner, possible with certain dishes.

e.g. Greek salad for lunch and Moussaka/Pastitio in the evening.

You waste a lot of money by over ordering & leaving stuff.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 12:36
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Thanks for all your replys x

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
52 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Hi.

Can I recommend the Capricciosa restaurant along the Stalis beach road.

We have the same issue when we take our parents to Stalis. They can't face a full meal in the evening as the Greeks like to pile it up!

The Capicciosa is a large taverna a few doors down from the pharmacy or across from Bar Code. It's trademark for us is the chicken and lamb going round on a large enclosed spit outside the restaurant. It's actually owned by the chef but the two guys out front, One named George, are perfect gents, patient, helpful, so you can virtually pick what you like and they'll accommodate you. We explained about the portion sizes and they got it straight away so it's not uncommon. They' do you a combination of what you'd like or a main meal ( say spag carbonara) but halve the portion. You still get the great food but it ain't piled high.

You can read reviews on the Restaurant if you put in Capricciosa Crete - who ever reviewed it first put this address in and it's stuck , that's why you don't see it in the Stalis reviews. Must get onto Tripadvisor about that. Anyway good luck and give it a try

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

Thanks will defo check it out 11 days and counting till we are there xx

9. Re: Restaraunts that serve smaller portion sizes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations