We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Chania to Stalis

We arrive in Chania with Ryanair on 26 July and would like to share a taxi to Stalis

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Oh dear! I guess you have been 'scammed' by an on-line company into thinking that Stalis is near Chania?

Best of luck finding someone, but if you don't, and you aren't in time to get a bus to Stalis, then either stay overnight in Chania and get the bus next morning, or hire a car.

To get from Chania airport to Stalis is 3 buses; Chania airport to town:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

(it will update as the season progresses and will coincide with arrivals)

then to Heraklion:

(last one down)

and then the Malia bus to Stalis (Stalida in the timetable):

- in July they will be every 30 or 60 minutes late at night, 15 or 30 during the day, last one up to 0100 depending on season.

If you tell us where you're staying, I'm sure our Stalis expert (npj60) can tell you exactly which bus stop etc.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Not another person duped by, I presume, On The Beach into flying into Chania and accom East of Heraklion. There have been many threads and questions on this forum last year relating to just this! I wish ABTA and the other regulatory authorities would find some way of putting a stop to this dubious practice of OTB so that people wouldn't continue to get caught in this way.

Anyway, you are where you are and it is difficult / impossible to get flights from Ireland direct to Heraklion airport. You may be lucky with the taxi share option but it is a bit of a long shot I guess.

Either way, you are faced with a long, arduous and costly journey at the start and end of your holiday. The most cost effective way of doing it, as Steve has mentioned above, is by way of the service buses ( factoring in staying over if you are arriving at a time when the buses are not an immediate option). Other than that, take a look at one of the airport transfer shuttle bus companies (the likes of Resorthoppa etc) and see if that suits your requirements and budget.

What time are you arriving at Chania airport and what accom are you staying at in Stalis?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

npj60, I seem to remember that it isn't possible to get a shared transfer from Chania to Stalis, so unless things have changed I don't think that's going to be an option. Mind you, if resorthoppa etc see these threads they may change their minds! But currently I don't think they offer anything much past Rethymnon and its suburbs.

And it looks like the flight arrives at 2135, so an overnight or taxi or hire car are the only options :(

Edited: 15 February 2014, 15:09
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Steve - I think you may very well be right, but it's worth the OP having a quick look just to see if any company are offering it for this year.

If I were faced with this predicament, then I would definitely hire a car. Not only would it be the easiest and most straightforward option to and from the airport, but it would also be available for trips out and about during the holiday. It is also a good road all along the National Road from Chania to Stalis.

It would be interesting to hear back from the OP with their further thoughts on it.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Just to put a further spin on it - I've just noticed that the OP has been to Stalis before as they posted a review of a restaurant there dated Sept 2011. So I presume they already know where Stalis is located relative to Chania airport.

As I said above, the availability of direct flights from Ireland to Heraklion are virtually non-existent. It's about time the likes of Easyjet and other airlines considered starting up the route as I think it would be a good and popular one for them.

Galway
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Hi NPJ, Just a quick note re flights from Ireland to Heraklion. I generally go to Sissi late May early June. Flights from holidaysonline.ie every Sunday. Charter rather than Scheduled. Used to fly out of Cork as well, but noticed this year that they only fly from Dublin now. Start May 25th and think they end late September/early October.

Like most people I wish there were more options for flying to Crete from Ireland, my favourite hoiday spot for many years.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 19:49
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Hi Gaillimhgirl

Yes, direct flights to Heraklion from both the Republic and the North are a real problem and there is a gap in the market for any airline prepared to introduce a route. I'm sure it would be a very popular and profitable one if they do.

I know that some choose to fly from Ireland into the likes of Gatwick and then onwards to Heraklion, a hassle for sure but at least it creates some flexibility and choice. Let's hope that an airline will introduce a new direct route from Ireland to Heraklion in the near future.

Chania, Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

www.smart-taxi.gr

you can share a taxi on this site.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Yes , my husband and I interested in sharing, flight arriving 20 30? Do you have a price and will taxi take 4 for set price and not per person?

Edited: 16 April 2015, 11:00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
940 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from Chania to Stalis

Hi Breda T

This is a zombie thread from last July, sorry :o(

Cass

Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations