We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island trip

Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Island trip

Can anyone tell me if there is a day trip round some of the Greek Islands from Crete?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island trip

The only inhabited island which you can get to on a day trip from Crete is Santorini - all the others are too far.

One of the big trips from Stalis is the (now uninhabited) former leper colony of Spinalonga, near Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Plaka. The island of Dia, near Heraklion, used to have trips but I've not seen any for some years. Also, Chrissi island, south of Ierapetra, may have some.

Photos of Spinalonga start here - about 37 of the area in all:

http://tinyurl.com/mh7x2a2

Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island trip

Thanks for that, think it will be a day in Santorini then if the other islands are too far away.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island trip

It's a long way - at least 2 hours each way on a hydrofoil from Heraklion, so another hour or a bit less each way from Stalis, and not cheap - probably about £100-£110. Weigh it up when you get there - all the travel shops will have it on offer.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 00:49
Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island trip

Wow that's expensive I thought I would pay about a tenner for a fare over, maybe I will just enjoy Crete instead then. Thanks anyway.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island trip

As Steve says,Santorini is an expensive and long day out with very little time to see a lot of the island.But if you are looking at booking boat trips then definately opt for Spinalonga which is advertised in all the excursion shops in Stalis,it includes coach transfer to Agios Nikolaos a couple of swim stops en-route to Spinalonga and generally a nice relaxing day out.

There are also boat trips available for Chrissi Island which is basically a coach transfer down to Iearapetra and a short boat trip over to the deserted island and a day on the beach,there is a taverna and a few people selling trinkets and souveniers.

Another boat trip available is the one that goes from Hersonissos harbour to Sissi,you can book this either in your local excursion shop or down in Hersonissos harbour itself,well worth a day out having a look around Sissi and very reasonably priced.

Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island trip

Thank you for that info, think I will do one of those at least i will feel like i have seen a little more of Greece.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island trip

If you want to go to Spinalonga on a budget, you can easily do it by bus. Get a bus from Stalis to Agios Nikolaos, then you have 3 choices: get a (relatively infrequent) boat from Ag. Nik; get an hourly bus to Elounda and get a boat from there; or get the 2 hourly bus to Plaka, from the harbour there it's a short hop across to Spinalonga.

Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island trip

I will see how brave I feel, sounds a bit daunting on your own but thanks anyway

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island trip

I can understand your reticence, but honestly, it couldn't be easier. The bus stops in Stalis will tell you what time the Ag. Nik buses arrive. The 'buses' are large air-conditioned coaches, really comfy and reasonably priced. You get a bus to Elounda or Plaka from the same bus station as the one you arrive in Ag. Nik.

The beauty of doig it on your own is that you can send as little or as long on Spinalonga as you wish, you can stay in Elounda or Plaka for a while, and on the way back you can have a good look round Ag. Nik, worthy of a visit or 2 in its own right. The bus station in Ag. Nik is about 10 minutes walk inland from the central area, near the hospital.

Incidentally, it's over 50 miles (or more than double the Dover-Calais run) from Heraklion to Santorini - hence the price.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 12:17
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Island trip

As Steve has said above, Santorini is a long and expensive day out, so I'd probably not contemplate it.

Spinalonga is a great day out and getting the bus, as stated above, is a good and cost effective way of doing it. The bus from Stalis to Agios is every hour and a 50 min journey will take you into the bus station there, from which you have the options Steve mentions above. I would consider getting a bus down to Plaka for the 10 min boat ride over to Spinalonga. Plaka itself is an old greek village worth having a look around and there are some lovely tavernas waterside which look back over to Spinalonga from where you can enjoy refreshments when you get back from the island.

Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations