We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Greek restaurant

leeds
Level Contributor
47 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Greek restaurant

Hi , can anyone recommend a good restaurant serving authentic Greek food in the Stalis area or near by ? Don't mind travelling a bit if anyone can recommend one that is off the beaten track .

Thanks,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

Hey and welcome fingers123:-) I've only been/stayed at Heraklion a couple of times.. am sure you'll get specific recs here.. nonetheless, just thought I'd kick in here;-) Regardless of where you venture to in the magnificent Country, it's always a good idea to get out of the mainstream tourist areas.. hit the back streets.. look for Greeks themselves dining.. where Greek is spoken.. the predominant language.. no one trying to lure you in.. no colorful photos of food on display outside;-) The smaller mom & pop tavernas that cater to the locals.. cash only.. is always your best bet for authentic.. anywhere in the Country;-) Have fun.. and EnJOY!

Bristol
Level Contributor
111 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

Hi Fingers123, Take a taxi (about 10 Euros) to the little village of Piskopiano. The views on the way up are amazing. Have a look at David Vegera, It's a rustic but excellent restaurant. After you can wonder down to the next village, little shops and lots of restaurants and bars etc. The mountain are lit up. It's like stepping into a film set. We will be there in 6 weeks, can't wait. Enjoy

Pontypridd
Level Contributor
470 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

I agree with EricBristol's suggestion that you take a taxi to Piskopiano and eat at David's. You'll need to go early to get a seat immediately but even if you can't the wait is worth it. As he says make a night of it and stroll through Piskopiano and Koutouloufari taking in a drink or two in one of the many small bars as you do so. When I've visited Stalis for an evening I've also had some decent meals in Yannis Golden Heart.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

HI there

Try eating as the locals do.....Meze - which is where you order 4/5 different small plates of food you share these - so no starter or main course, along with a jug of the local wine, just perfect way of eating, especially when its hot, and also great for trying new and different foods, and a very social way of eating too... many of these traditional type tavernas don't even offer the usual three courses, and can give you a menu where you tick which food you would like - as I don't stay in Stalis I cant recommend any tavernas, but I am sure that npj60 who is our DE for Stalis will be able to give you some recommendations.

5. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2017, 23:09
Edited: 30 October 2017, 23:09
leeds
Level Contributor
47 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

We are staying at the paradise apartments . Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

7. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2017, 23:09
Harrogate
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

Try Jannis Golden Heart in Stalis you wont be sorry. So many authentic Greek dishes to try. They even cater for my vegetarian wife with such a varied choice her favourite being zuchini flowers stuffed with rice and lemon and spices. Enjoy!

cheshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

Hi npj60, could you tell me where Tsourlis is in relation to Nikos Apartments, we haven't seen that restaurant when we have been in Stalis before, and we are always looking to try somewhere new :-) Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Greek restaurant

We always enjoy dining at Restaurant Creta on the Beach Road in Stalis. The staff are always welcoming, helpful and friendly and the quality of the food is excellent. The mixed fish platter is excellent.

Get answers to your questions about Stalis
Recent Conversations