We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes !

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes !

I just read on an internet site that there are snakes on Samos.

Well, I kinda guessed that, but what worries me is the mention of tree snakes, that would lie lurking in olive trees above you and GOD FORBID might decide to jump down on you, mistaking you for a big fat juicy mouse. I swear, I would drop dead from heart failure there and then !!!

Experiences with the Samosian fauna appreciated, merci. Should I just stay at the taverna 9:00-22:00 - with an occasional dip in the Aegean sea ?? OMG, the dangers of travelling.......

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes !

Snakes are found all over Greece, and through my 27 years of travelling there I have only seen some a couple of times....

There are snakes in Denmark, as well ?

:-)

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes !

Hello, GitteK --

My sister-in-law has family on Samos and has vacationed there every summer for 4 decades. She says there are not so many snakes on Samos that you should worry! Scientists say there are more DIFFERENT species of snakes there than on other Greek islands, but not a larger number of individual snakes. She also said that although Samos suffered from the terrible fire in 2000 that destroyed almost half the islands forest, much has recovered over the past decade, and Samos is still a very green island. But she has NEVER seen a snake in the olive trees, and only a couple of small, dead ones that had run over by cars on the roads! But, if you plan on climbing Mt Kerkís, or walking in weeds or brush, you might want to wear heavy boots and be watchful among the rocks...

Here's an interesting article on the results of a scientific survey of snakes and other reptiles and amphibians on Samos:

Herpetofauna of Europe: Samos trip report

www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=50

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes !

Oh thank you so much, LonghornDeb ! That's reassuring news, I am terrified of all sorts of wild critters.........

That's the good thing about living in country with long deepfrozen winters: it rids our backyards of the worst kinds !!

Snakes in DK ? We have 2 sorts and they are almost extinct. One slightly venomous called a "hugorm" that lives on the heath in Jutland and one harmless called a "snog" that lives in pine forests. They are very few in numbers and they run for cover as soon as they hear any noises, so I have never seen any.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes !

"they run for cover as soon as they hear any noises" - which is what snakes do as a natural action all over the world irrespective of what kind they are...

:-)

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes !

never seen snakes in 20 years of visiting Samos so I must be very heavy footed! I have seen them in the UK though ... good advice from Deb - are you really going to be climbing Mt Kerkis on your vacation?

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes !

Atlantic-Rovr, the only climbing I will do is

out of bed into the sea - up from the sea - to my sunbed - up to the taverna chair for lunch - back to the sunbed - out into the sea - up to the beach bar stool - up to the taverna chair for dinner - down to the beach bar stool - home to bed...........

sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes !

Embarrasingly Ive never even seen a snake in Australia, in all my travels! Just wanted to add that. Looking forward to visiting Samos in a few months.

Cheers

Sash

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes !

from what you have said - you will love Samos!

crewe
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes !

GitteK

Did you see any Snakes In Samos ????

10. Re: Snakes !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2011, 17:57
Get answers to your questions about Pythagorion
Recent Conversations