We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

West Sussex
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

We are staying in Santa Catharina Studios soon, does anyone know where the nearest Food Stores/Supermarkets/Groceries are? I know there is one on the main road to Pythagorion (called Bazaar) - but the studios are quite secluded and over 3km away from the majority of facilities.

Many thanks for your help.

preston uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Hi,

i keep waiting for a reply on this one, we to are there in june/july so hopefully somebody will post a reply soon...

preston uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Hi, my wife and i are also at these apartments in june/july, so i have been awaiting somebody to reply.... hopefully someone will soon.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 18:15
oswestry
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Hi! No supermarkets anywhere near the apartments. You will have to walk to the end of the main road (about 3 km) - get provisions and taxi back. Lovely walk down, but didn't attempt it back!! George the owner has a restaurant by the harbour and you can order your food and they will deliver to your apartments. We only did it once, but it was lovely. Made us sit outside with a drink while they laid all the food out for us!!

Let me know if you need to know anything more.

Have a wonderful time; I know you will.

preston uk
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Hi,

how far is it from the apartments to the harbour and is there a short cut???

there has to be a bar on that road surely....please.

oswestry
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

No bar to call in sorry! There is a bar at the apartments. It is a lovely walk down from the apartments to the main road. Once you get to the main road, turn right and cross the road. On the bend on your left hand side, you will see some barriers with a gap! Go through the gap down a little path and follow the around to the right, which will take you to the harbour. The main road is very dangerous; we only ever did it once! Dont worry you will love it! Sometimes, if you are lucky, George the owner will give you a lift in his mini bus. The other thing is, because they are so high up, you do not get mozzies!!!

There were only 16 apartments when we went for the last 2 years. They were building abother 16, but that has not put us off. We are hopefully going for a week in September.

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

We went to lidl, saved a fortune! % mins in the car!

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Sorry that's 5 mins in a car, maybe 8mins!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Thanks for all the replies; now back from holiday and it was great!

For anyone who still wants to know:

- The nearest supermarket was down in the Marina but it's as twisty and hilly as the trek down from the apartments to the main road. So I would suggest instead turning right when you get to the main road and just following the road into Pythagorion. The main street where all the souvenir shops and taxi rank are has plenty of food stores. We got all our food shopping for under 25euros each for the whole week - bargain!

- After reading reviews I thought the walk down from apartments was going to be a nightmare. It's not as bad as it sounds - we walked down everyday and took us no more than 15mins to get to the main road which was then easy to follow into town. We even walked back up a few times - but if it's not for you a taxi back is just 6 euros. The public buses or Thomson buses can't get up there though so the day you arrive and depart you get taken up and down the road to the apartments on a mini bus - but be warned you will be crammed in the mini bus more people than seats!

And if like us we were too 'young' (despite having a license in the UK) to be able to get a hire car; walking is the way forward - we went to so many places by foot and even walked back from Ireon one day. Just make sure to take plenty of stops in the shade and bring lots of water! (Just a note if you are under 23 and manage to get a hire car - it is likely to be on dodgy insurance, so don't do it!)

- No bars on the way down but you'll pass loads of places selling drinks once your in Pythagorion town; an idea we had was freezing bottles of water - saved us some money and kept them cool all day.

- Mosquito's have been a problem this year; someone the week before us had to go home after having a reaction to the bites. We got quite a few the first day we arrived - but it wasn't as bad after that.

Think I've answered everything that has been brought up; if anyone wants to know any more feel free to message!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
667 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

sounds like you had a great time. Worried to hear about the mosquitos as my partner had a bad reaction in Kefalonia last yr but we are better prepared this year.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Store/Supermarket/Groceries nr. Santa Catharina Studios

Hi HaylzMoore

I'm going to santa catherina apartments in august and wondered if you could see the airport/planes from them? I have heard that you have a lovely view across the sea and that a car is recommended?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Pythagorion
Recent Conversations