We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling or Euro?

Which Skala Rachoniou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
romford
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sterling or Euro?

Hi all,

Staying at the Mediterranean Apartments early Sept and unsure whether to bring Sterling and change whilst there or just take Euro's over with me.

How does the exchange rate in Thassos compare to that in the UK? On previous trips to Egypt we always took Sterling and exchanged to EGP whilst out there as the rate was always higher ... wondering if Thassos is the same?

Many thanks,

Pat

5 replies to this topic
west mids
Level Contributor
497 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling or Euro?

very small resort i cant remember seeing an atm so u will be relying on shops and hotels for exchange think im right obviously you can catch bus into the town though.Try Olgas over the road from your hotel for a lovely meal

romford
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling or Euro?

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your reply ....

I have been told that currency can be exchanged at our apartments/hotel. Just trying to find out how the exchange rate compare to that in the UK. I know at the moment with ICEPLC (who we normally use) are offering 1.22 Euro to the £ at the moment which is VG.

It's been a number of years since we have flown short haul, and I don't really want to be lumbered with a lot of Euro's on our return unnecessarily if I can help it.

Pat

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
373 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling or Euro?

If there are no ATM then take Euro. Not just because of lack of opportunities to convert but for the rates. If there are ATM then I take pre-paid cards where you load cash in sterling at that days exchange rate then take out Euro at the Atm in Greece. Even using an English debit card at an ATM would give you a better exchange than changing cash at resort. If you look you will see a post from the destination expert and myself which I think identifies all ATM. Mine shows an interactive map which you can filter to show ATMs on the island. If there aren't any suitable then just take Euro exchanged in UK.

In my opinion :-)

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling or Euro?

When we went last year the nearest ATM was in the next resort which you could walk along the beach to (about hours walk) or you could catch a bus. ATMs inThassos town if you are going in during your holiday but not a lot of use for everyday use.

romford
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling or Euro?

Hi all,

Received a reply from the hotel, and at the moment they are offering an exchange rate of 1.20 to the £ plus 3% commission. Have decided to stick with ICEPLC as they always seems to offer the best rates ... 1.22 to the £ at the moment.

Thanks,

Pat

Reply to: Sterling or Euro?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skala Rachoniou