We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

My partner and I are planning to spend 3 nights in Santa Maria di Castelbate and wondering if we have done the right thing. We love the beach, swimming, eating and walking. Are there tours to other islands?

Is there lots to do there? We will be coming from Positano - does anyone know the easiest way to get there?

Noela

Masaniello Tourist
Boat Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Cooking Classes, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
Lido Castellabate
Other Outdoor Activities
Tours & Transfers
Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

We have been three times in the past five years and it's excellent for all of those things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lots to do" besides that. It's a very small town. There's not much shopping, not much nightlife etc etc. That's one of its main charms:-)

And it's not an island so I also am not sure what you are thinking of about tours to other islands?

It's not easy to get to without a car - from Positano it would be bus/ferry to Salerno, train from Salerno to Agropoli, bus/cab from Agropoli to SMdiC.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

Thanks so much for your feedback. I saw somewhere on Trip Advisor that someone went to an island.

We're keen to simply relax - maybe even go on a fishing boat - or walk - or simply sit on the beach - great!

Do you have any suggestions for good restaurants? Maybe seafood?

Appreciate your help

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

Licosa is part of the district of Castellabate and a promontory with a forest in the province of Salerno. In the past, the promontory was a fiefdom / feudal stronghold of the Granito di Belmonte family; at the moment it is private property and as such, is not accessible to the public, and subject to a judicial dispute for dozens of years between the Belmonte family and the Boroli family, who own the De Agostini company.

The area of Licosa has two roads with limited access for traffic, with control gates. The southern entrance is at Ogliastro, the northern one at S.Marco.

In the centre of the road and not far from the village of Licosa, is the Punta Licosa, on which rises a 'rocca' (kind of castle) with the sea behind it and opposite the Island of Licosa, a little island not far from land on which is the light house for shipping. Punta Licosa represents the southern limit of the Gulf of Salerno and in 2005 it was included among the eleven most beautiful beaches of Italy. According to the judgement of Legambiente. The island also is host to a particular type of endemic lizard, the Podarcis krameri.

I think that may be the island you're thinking of. It's a beautiful area, much loved by Italians, and foreign tourists are only just starting to find the beaches here.... get there before it becomes overcrowded, preferably avoid August when all the Italians turn up in the tiny villages and crowd the beaches ! I imagine you'll be able to get a boat out to the island, although you may not be able to alight, light houses are usually protected areas.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

Thanks so much - Yes that is the island I was told about. I believe there are boat tours there.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

You can have a delightful day walking out to Punta Licosa from Santa M since you like to walk - walk along the beach to San Marco, up the ramp and along the pedestrian path down into the center of S. Marco and then up a road that goes around behind the hotel on the far side of town. Just keep going ... gorgeous scenery of the sea, beautiful houses and gardens, olive groves and then you are there! Take a towel and a picnic for swimming and lunch because there's nothing there except a handful of boats. Absolutely gorgeous. We did that twice last summer. Or you can get a boat there from Santa Maria but the walk isn't that far and it's really great.

You can also take boat rides further down the coast - towards Palinuro etc.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Planning to go to Santa Maria di Castelbate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Santa Maria di...
More Santa Maria di Castellabate Topics