We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service from Florence

Which Asciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Car service from Florence

I'm trying to organize car service from Florence to Asciano (and back). 3 adults, 2 infants. Google isn't helping, and the one service we did find was 500 euros. Any ideas? I understand it's not really that far. Only about an hour and twenty minutes.

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,609 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service from Florence

Why not just take the train - it looks to be anywhere from 2-2.5 hours, depending on the train and only about 10 euros per person.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service from Florence

I agree with Momcat, unless you need a car, the train looks easy.

www.trenitalia.it

(click on English at the top)

Type in "Firenze" in the From and "Asciano" in the To. It looks like there are many trains, all with a short transfer in Siena.

If you wanted a car once there, I didn't really see a car rental (autonoleggio) in Asciano proper, but I could ask friends who live there. Actually, you could also stay on that train to the next town, Sinalunga, and there is a pretty big car rental company who has a branch there (Giramondo):

www.autonoleggiogiramondo.it/index.php…

-Karl

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service from Florence

We have a lot of luggage and the 2 infants, and we were also hoping to save on time as driving seems faster than the 2 hr + train ride. Any taxi suggestions would be great. Train is last resort.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service from Florence

OK....it was unclear to me from your post if you wanted a driver, or are OK driving on your own. We just returned from a road trip in that area and driving anywhere except in the large cities was easy and fun. I would recommend renting and driving on your own.

If you're up for that, you can find lots of discussion/advice on best places to pick your car up in Florence on the Florence forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k17736…

-K

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service from Florence

It is around 100 km from Florence to Asciano. A taxi or car service would want to be paid to return to Florence, so I would think an absolute minimum of €200 per journey.

Go by rental car. You will need a car while you are in Asciano anyway, if you want to see anything of the surrounding Tuscan countryside and towns.

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service from Florence

We looked into rental cars. 500 euros for an automatic. Only 2 of the 3 of us adults have driving licenses, and neither of us can drive stick.

So, if we don't want to rent a car and we don't want to take the train, does anyone have any car service recommendations that won't cost us 500 euros one-way like the one quote we have?

We are in Asciano for a wedding, where everything is pre-organized, so we don't need a car to get us around. We just need to get from Florence to Asciano and back. Sorry I wasn't this specific in my original posting.

Reply to: Car service from Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Asciano