We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in Pienza

Windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in Pienza

We'll be staying in Pienza next July for a week. The chances are that we won't be having lunch there most of the time. We understand that Pienza is a very busy place during the day, but a nearly deserted one (so to speak) at night. To sum it up, are there restaurants in town, or in the immediate vicinity (Val d'Orcia) that one would recommend for dinner ? The price is open, a menu in English is not a must, but the cuisine should be definitely local (even tripes would not deter us !)

toscana
Level Contributor
807 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in Pienza

Welcome to Pienza. I live nearby and I agree there is not a great night life in P.

but there are planty of restaurants open until late.

Here is the site you want to visit:

http://www.pienza.info/index.eng.php

If you are ready to drive up to Bettolle, where by the way there is an outlet so you can have a bit of shopping, I can suggest this restaurant:

relaislaleopoldina.it/ita/ristorante_redaell…

I have been there with the family for Easter lunch. My husband, who is a good cook, tends to be polemical when eating at restaurant. At La Leopoldina he had to agree that everything was super. Quality/price good too.

To know what's going on in the area, in July, please visit this site:

www.sienadautore.it/eventi/16072009.aspx

Search also for Montepulciano....

If you need any other info, feel free to contact me.

Ciao

Myrna

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in Pienza

Have at least one evening meal at the restaurant in Relais Il Chiostro, the excellent hotel built into the ex-convent next to the Duomo. It's not cheap, but the food is excellent and, if it is a fine evening, there is a magnificent view from the courtyard over the Tuscan countryside. Magic.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in Pienza

I second the suggestion of Il Chiostro but, in truth, all the restaurants in Pienza are pretty good. There are a couple of nice places in San Quirico (Il Vecchio Forno, in particular with pretty garden). Several very good places in Montepulciano and that's glorious at night when the tourists have left. La Grotta (though it's verging in my opinion on being slightly overpriced), Locanda San Francesco (the owners post on this board) and the three places down the side street to the right of il Duomo (as you look at it) are all excellent. (Two are on the right, one is on the left next to the small Contucci shop.) I haven't been there for ages but La Porta at little Monticchiello has a long established, excellent reputation with a tiny though v pretty terrace.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in Pienza

One of our most memorable meals in Italy was at Il Rosselino in Pienza. Ask your hotel to make a reservation for you. There are only five tables. The entire meal is cooked and served impeccably by a husband and wife. The menu was small but fresh and local. Pricey but so very worth it.

We ate so often at Dal Falco that we were getting free limoncellos the last few times. Latte di Luna looked very nice but we never got a chance to eat there. Reservations are highly recommended.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
303 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in Pienza

We just returned from 10 days in the area around Pienza, and our favorite meals included Trattoria da Fiorella (casual, nice place for dinner, two brothers run it, make sure you get the panna cotta for dessert), Latte di Luna (good handmade pastas), and il Rossellino (one of the nicest meals of the trip) in Pienza, La Porta in Monticchiello (this is a great place for lunch too, since the view is amazing), La Grotta (a little upscale, and just outside town, so easy to get to, order the tasting menu), Le Logge del Vignola (also a little upscale and great tasting menu), and Osteria dell'Acquachetta in Montepulciano (the place with amazingly large Florentine steak), and il Leccio in Sant'Angelo in Colle (another great lunch place, near Sant'Antimo, we went to lunch there after hearing the monks chant at 12:45 at Sant'Antimo).

I also have recommendations for wineries and other things to do if you are interested, just let me know!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining in Pienza

Lunch at Il Leccio after listening to the monks chanting at Sant'Antimo, what a perfect way to spend a day.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining in Pienza

I eat often in Pienza. For inexpensive, casual meals I highly suggest La Buca di Enea (there is another restaurant in town with a similar name, La Buca delle Fate, but this is not the one I am suggesting). La Buca di Enea, run by Antonio and Gabriella is one of our very favorite places!!

For good pizza, Zia Remy (new since January). Owned and managed by Valentina Nucci, a real sweetheart.

For more traditional fare:

Latte di Luna (I've never had better roast suckling pig, ever.)

Dal Falco (if you like fish, go on Wednesday, but make a reservation the day before or early in morning on Wednesday. The fishmonger comes to Pienza on Wednesday morning and they buy then for the number of people who have made reservations and requested fish.)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining in Pienza

I second the choices in San Quirico and in addtion I would recommend the following places:

Ristorante del Castello (at the Locanda del Castello) in San Giovanni d'Asso (one of my favorites in Italy for dinner):

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g262049-d1…

La Romita in Montisi (unexpected delight for dinner):

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1770797-d…

L'Osteria Baccus in Pienza (faithful traditional cuisine for lunch or dinner):

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g644280-d1…

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining in Pienza

In the center of Pienza is a tiny restaurant called Il Rossellino. They seat only 20 and you must make a reservation. The restaurant is owned by a retired business man and his wife. They do all the cooking and serving and the food is amazing.

We were so impressed that I recommended it to my boss when she went to Italy and she loved it too.

It is expensive but oh so very worth it!

10. Re: Dining in Pienza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 07:21