We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pecorino cheese tasting

Which Pienza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pecorino cheese tasting

We're looking for a farm in the area that makes pecorino cheese and offers tastings (and perhaps tours). If anyone knows of any we might check out we'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

A pecorino producer is likely to have maximum of three grades of cheese (based on aging). Go into any percorino shop in Pienza and you'll have opportunity to taste 20 or 30 different cheeses. I don't advise actually doing that - you might wear out your welcome. But it's usual to ask to taste a cheese before buying it (or not buying it). Read on . . . http://www.pienza.com/pecorino.htm - ignore the "Cacio al Fuso", surely the most eccentric festa in a country famous for the variety of its local festivals.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

I agree with tuscan. In addition, there is a shop in Pienza by the name of Remo Monaci that has a fantastic selection of Pecorino cheese (they also have great local honey to pair up with the cheese). They are very nice and helpful and we tasted many items there (and, yes, we bought a ton of stuff from them too since most of it was superb). While you are there make sure you dine at one of the restaurants in town. We ate at LOsteria Baccus and the cheese plates were superb (and the rest of the food was awesome too). The link to the review is http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g644280-d1530202-Reviews-L_Osteria_Baccus-Pienza_Tuscany.html)

Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Thank you both so much for your speedy replies but we have been to the Pecorino shops in Pienza (which are great), and this time would really like to visit one of the farms. Can anyone advise? Grazie!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Found this on a slowtrav blog (whole blog is at http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1786&index=1).

"After Pienza, we drove to Il Casale, which is located between Pienza and Montelpuciano. It is an organic farm owned by Ulisse Schmidig and his (non) wife Sandra, a Swiss couple who, with their five boys, raise sheep and goats to make Pecorino and other cheese, raise wheat for making pasta, bees for honey, and olives for oil. It is also an Agriturismo. Ulisse gave us a great cheese-making demonstration with an amazing selection of cheese for us to try. After our cheese tasting and demonstration, Sandra cooked us an amazing lunch. Prosciutto and melon, peppers stuffed with tuna, farro salad, an amazing dish that was simply ribbons of raw zucchini with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper, and many other vegetables. So fresh and fantastic – honest Italian cooking tied directly to the land and the season. In Portland eating local, organic, seasonal food is the norm, but for most of the USA it is the exception. It was wonderful to see an entire country eating like this as a habit, not by making an extra effort like we do here, very heart-warming and enlightening."

Perhaps this will help get you going. In addition, I know that Agriturismo Cretaiole is near Pienza and does make cheese. It is highly thought of as a agriturismo, so you can check it out. www.cretaiole.itad

Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Thank you, ATL! Fantastic!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Benvenuto!!!

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Actually, friends of mine recently toured the Val di Pesa with one of the well regarded guides that is often recommended on this forum . He took them to a small family run farm that produces a rather wide and varied selection of sheep's milk cheeses. They had a tour of the farm saw the cheese making process and had it explained to them. The farm also produces several wines as well as extra virgin olive oil. After a tour of the cellars, they had a well presented tasting of the cheeses along with the wines and oil.

Sounds to me that this could be what you're looking for!

paris france
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

This farm is pretty good; they make organic pecorino and olive oil, they offer tastings, and it's DEFINATELY in a rural area!

http://www.degustazioni.net/

Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Thank you last posters (sorry this reply is so late; got sidelined with other things)! Menilman, the farm you recommended is great but unfortunately, they only do tours/tastings for groups of 8 or more. Imprimatur -- do you know the name of the farm that your friends toured with their guide? This really does sound perfect. Grazie mille!

paris france
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pecorino cheese tasting

Actually, my wife and went there to buy some olive oil, and decided to maybe buy some picorino, and the lady let us taste their five varieties, just the two of us. Honestly, form what I saw of the farm, there's probably not much to see in the "tour" but seeing as how we arrived a good half hour after their official closing time and they took us in, I imagine that if you go during "regular visiting hours" they'll be very accommodating :-)