We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

Hello,

I'm debating between these 2 hotels when staying for 2 nights in Pienza. Both are close to the historical center, have free parking and have great reviews. Both are reasonably priced. While Hotel La Valle have better views, the rooms look quite bare and I'm not sure how comfortable the beds are. Arca di Pienza rooms look really lovely and they have private terraces, but I saw one review that they may be noisy due to proximity to the road.

Would greatly appreciate the advise.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

You'll need first hand feedback from people who have physically stayed in both - you've checked out the reviews on the Trip Advisor? I only know them as places I drive past regularly. Some of the rooms at Piccolo Hotel must have fabulous views for it's in an incredible position, it's also slightly nearer to one of the gates leading into the old town than the Arca. The Arca is on the main road to Montepulciano in the more modern part of Pienza and rooms at the front would be only yards from the road. But it isn't a busy road at night (after 8.30 / 9) plus in summer you'd have the windows closed as rooms are air-conditioned so I would have thought you would have to be extremely sensitive to noise to be disturbed.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

Thank you very much for your reply. This is very helpful.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

We stayed at Arca Di Pienza this past May for two nights. We actually checked out of a local agritourismo after two days so as to be closer to Pienza’s town center. The host was most helpful with our luggage and told us where to park (for free). Our room was nice, the bathroom was surprisingly spacious and we had a little patio area that was surrounded by shrubbery for privacy. We did not mind the minimal road noises and, with the patio doors closed, you could hear none of it. There is an elevator too. The walk to the main gate takes less than 5 minutes. The rate was under €100 per night and the breakfast was quite good, especially the locally made pastries! There was no view from our 2nd story room but we spent most of our time exploring Pienza itself. The bed was comfy and welcoming each evening. We will stay there again next time.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

Thank you TrippleTime,

We're also planning to spend 2 nights in Pienza in May after 4 nights in Florence. Can you share any details of your trip incl. the day trips, favorite restaurants, etc.

Many thanks

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
919 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

My pleasure. We picked up our rental car at the Florence airport area (tricky to find – good thing the taxi driver knew where he was going). We then drove around the stressful Florence “beltway” and finally worked our way onto SS222, the Chianti Road and into the classically beautiful Chianti region then continued southward. We made a sight detour up into the little town of Volpaia where we enjoyed a great lunch and bought some Vin Santo dessert wine. From there we continued south to our agritourismo Villa Nottola. The weather was rainy and cool and there wasn’t much going on there so we took day trips westward to Montalcino, San Quirico D’Orcia and Pienza – typical hilly little villages with loads of charm.

We liked Pienza so much that we checked out of the agritourismo and into Arca de Pienza for two days. The many cheese shops are very interesting and their famed Pecorino is available in numerous flavors. We bought a small wheel of Pecorino with black truffles – sadly it’s all gone now. I highly recommend a tour of the Piccolomini Palace, built in 1459, and was the summer home of Pope Pius II. As for restaurants, we enjoyed Luna de Latte at far end of the main thoroughfare (we ate lunch and dinner here -try the Tuscan bean starter followed by the rabbit) and Trattoria Cucina Tipica Toscana which is just outside the city wall to the north (worth the short walk) - attentive service, terrific house red wine and tasty pasta dishes. There are plenty of interesting-looking restaurants that we simply did not have time to try. We left Pienza, drove to Chiusi, dropped off the car and took the train to Orvieto for 2 more days. Now there is another spectacular town worth a visit on the way to Rome. Hope this helps.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
97 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

Thank you so much!

Torrita di Siena...
Level Contributor
63 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

whatever is going to be your choice ( I know both,and both lovely places) don't forget that Pienza is a little village of 2000 souls, and distances or trafic noise hev nothing to compare with NJ or NYC :-) . Feel confortable and no worries to enjoy this fantastic part of the world!!!!

8. Re: Piccolo Hotel La Valle or Arca di Pienza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22