We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

several nights in Pitigliano?

cape cod, mass
Level Contributor
75 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
several nights in Pitigliano?

My husband and I are considering spending several days in Pitigliano next spring and using it as a base to visit other nearby sites. My impression from TA reviews is that this is a very special hill town, but that driving into the town and finding suitable parking can be a problem. This would not be of concern if we were thinking of one night, but multiple nights would mean multiple comings and goings for day trips in the area. One reviewer noted that there is a parking lot outside the gates. Is it possible (without too much walking) to leave the car there and walk back and forth from our day trips, once we have dropped our luggage off at the hotel? Or does it make more sense to stay at a more accessible location and visit Pitigliano for the day? Any suggestions? We already have reservations for the Orvieto area, and after our time in Pitigliano will be travelling southwest to the coast. Thank you.

20 replies to this topic
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

You might want to look at the delightful village of Sovana for accomodation. It is only 8 km (5 miles) from Pitigliano and is on the flat. It is part of the Comune of Pitigliano so you won't find a Sovana forum as such on TA. But if you type it into the search box top right you'll find what you're looking for.

The village is small and dates back to at least the 12th century. There are Etruscan remains in the vicinity.

I have not stayed in any of the hotels but they seem to have good reviews.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

I see TA has given the link, so even better.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Bear in mind that Pitigliano and its neighbors Sorano and Sovana are all very small and do not offer much by way of restaurants and shopping. Sovana in particular is just a village (which has its pluses and minuses). Having said this, I do believe that Pitigliano in particular is absolutely engrossing and mesmerizing, especially late at night and at the crack of dawn. I cannot think of a more memorable town in the general area. In the spring (outside of Easter week), there will not be many tourists, especially during the weekdays, and you will feel like a "local".

If you choose to stay in Pitigliano, I think you'll enjoy the views from the rooms in the back of the Hotel Guastini (see reviews in this website), which have a panorama of the town silhouette. You will make a point to wake up at night just to gaze out the window to this unforgettable sight. Be sure to ask for a room in the back with a view onto the town.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 16:29
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Still about Pitigliano: there are also possibilities for accommodation at walking distance from the historic center, ie with no parking problems, in some apartments with kitchen. Last spring I tried "La dolce vita" and I was fine. I wrote also the review that you can read at this address:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g644281-d3433…

Brun066

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Pitigliano is a real favourite of mine and based on where you have been and where you are going, I think it would make a good base. Presumably you've done detailed research for many of the villages in this area (all of which are very interesting indeed) don't appear in the mainstream guides but there is so much to see if you're willing to go the extra mile to read up about them. Parking probably is a problem in Pitigliano though as the old centre is no doubt restricted (understandably) to residents only. Check out Hostaria del Ceccottino as a possible place to stay; we've eaten there several times and always say if we ever overnight, we'll stay here. They may well have an arrangement with the local police to allow guests to drive up to the hotel to drop off bags, etc as most ZTL centre properties do. If it were me, I would prefer Pitigliano to Sovana as there are just as many options to eat nowadays and somehow Pitigliano is the more authentic and atmospheric of the two. (Tourism is creeping in increasingly in Sovana.)

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:18
Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Pitigliano is not to be missed, especially at night, but For my taste it's too small and too far from other places to be a good base. Sovrana is smaller still, and I found it to be too tourist oriented. We found Grosseto to be a good base. The town is underrated and it's easy to get in and out - that said, it's not a good choice if you want ancient surroundings. For that, consider Orvieto, a great city and close to the autostrada A1.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

We spent 4 nights in Pitigliano in 2011 and loved it. We stayed at Il Tufa Rosa, a small hotel in the old town.

www.iltuforosa.com/inglese/contacts.php There was public parking within about 200 yards of the hotel. Very easy to get to. THe town is unique and amazing. They light the whole side of the village at night with huge spotlights. You can read my blog and see some pictures at www.fuzzytravel.com/jerryott1

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

My family rented an apartment in Pitigliano old town for a week in April 2012. We never had a problem finding free parking less than a 10 minute walk away on Via S. Michele not far from the pedestrian bridge to the old town. (The benches across from the parking are a great place to see the city lit up at night, or just to sit and watch the rooks reeling during the day.) I imagine that during high season, parking is harder to find, but unless Pitigliano has gotten more popular, or changed its parking policies, you shouldn't have a problem in April.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Hi, PItigliano is my second home. If you are still looking for accommodation you should also check out http://www.lacasadegliarchi.com/ Although I have been into the Il Tufa Rosa and it is nice...there are lots of nice options. If you talk to Cristiano at Just in Toscana he is always full of good options. Make sure you got to the local museum in the Castle. You can get some more details off www.italyandbeyond.com Sovana is lovely and the Sovana Resort is nice. The parking in Pitigliano isn't really that big of a deal if you don't mind a stroll back to your accommodation. Parking up the top (new part) shouldn't be that big of a deal in April. The only time we have been challenged is during Settembredivino (wine festival). Let me know if you want more info...I am really happy to help.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: several nights in Pitigliano?

Hi ... We are travelling to Pitigliano in Sept. Would you advise us to stay just outside in the country or tight in the town. ? Also we are vegan... Do you think we might starve? Lo, thanks.

Ps. What o you love most about the place ? Linda

Reply to: several nights in Pitigliano?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pitigliano