We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to L'Estartit

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to L'Estartit

After leaving by car from the euro tunnel I have aloud 2 days to arrive in L'ESTARTIT .Which would be the best route and any ideas on hotels on the way

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

My personal preference is to go Rouen, Chartres, Orleans to miss out Paris. Then the Limoges, Toulouse, Perpignan autoroute to reach the Spanish border. The alternative is Clermont-Ferrand, Milau, Beziers, but if we come down on the Limoges side we can stop for lunch or take a stop over in one of the village etapes in or near the Dordogne.

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Thank you for your reply I will add your valuable advise to my notes

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,825 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Look at viamichelin.com

They give a recommended route but you can opt for scenic, chepaest (few tolls) etc and get other choices

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Thanks Lynda I will check that out

5. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 01:04
Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Thanks for your input

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
391 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Hi Mark,

Been doing the journey for over 30 years, my dad drives down 4-5 times a year and there are really only 2 routes unless you want to venture through Paris; these are Route 1 : Calais-Reims-Lyon-Perpignan on the AutoRoute de Soleil all the way to Spain or as SD_Barcelona has mentioned Route 2: Rouen-Dreux-Chartres-Orleans-Clermont Ferrand, Milau Bridge, Beziers, Perpignan.

Pro's and con's -

Route 1:

Pro's

All motorway driving so feels faster

Plenty of rest stops

Slightly quicker to get to Spain

Con's

Costs double on the peage's compared with Route 2 (over 100 euros return compared with just over 50 euros on route 2)

Boring monotonous motorway driving

Route 2:

Pro's

Less motorway driving, quite a lot of nice country roads to drive on between Rouen and Chartres

Still plenty of rest stops

Cheaper than route 1

Nicer scenery to look at than route 1, especially when around Clermont Ferrand, Millau Bridge area and you have climbed to over 3500 above sea level.

Con's

Can be slow if you get stuck behind a tractor on the country roads

Can get busy during peak time i.e. French holidays

Rouen can be a pain if the tunnels are closed but if you have a decent Sat Nav it can easily get you around this (mine actually diverted us on a route that was quicker than when you use the tunnels)

As an example travelling there and starting from Sheffield, we set off at 1am, had tunnel booked for 5.25am, we have a break for breakfast and dinner and arrive @ a place called Issoire @ around 4pm (just after Clermont Ferrand) which we stay in an Ibis Budget hotel (formally ETAP)

etaphotel.com/gb/…index.shtml

there are plenty of place to eat around here (Buffalo grill next door, we ate here a few weeks ago as its kid friendly food wise and it was an ok meal) or there is a Carfour supermarket if you fancy making your own sandwiches.

This leaves you with around a 5 hour drive in the morning 320 mile, but there are plenty of other places to stay on route.

The centre of Chartres looks really nice, first time I have been through it as sat navs normally take us around, it depends how far you want to drive each day.

Coming home we set off from Spain at 5am and arrived home at 10:30pm, it is tiring but we just want to get home.

If you opt for Route 2: sat nav information wants to be from Calais:

Change destinations a few miles before you reach the current one otherwise it will take you toward the centre of each one instead of around.

1. Rouen

as you get close to Rouen change the destination to

2. Evreux; this should then get you through Rouen the quickest way,

3. Dreux

4. Chartres

5. Orleans

6. Beziers

7. Perpignan

8. L'Estartit or Torrella De Montgri is sat nav does not pick it up

To be honest you could probably get away with Rouen, Orleans, Beziers but just have to be careful some sat navs will try and take you towards Paris after Rouen to avoid the single track roads or Evreux and Dreux but its no quicker and it will cost you an expensive peage.

If you do need any more help just let me know and I can get more info on stuff, there are plenty of places to stop over on the other route also, its an easy drive and the roads even when busy are a lot quieter than ours.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

We used to do the Milau bridge route - really liked Vichy as a stopover. In the last couple of years we've switched to the Limoges route as it's now all autoroute and has prettier stop off points.

Weybridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route to L'Estartit

Wow Danny

That is a very comprehensive amount of information

Thank you very much

Regards

Mark

Weybridge, United...