We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Teaching English in Calama

Which Calama hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Considering Teaching English in Calama

I would welcome so information about Calama Chile. First off, due to damage from a broken neck I must live in a dry climate, Calama will be fine for my health. I live at 5,200' above sea level in a high country desert, Northern Arizona. Will Calama feel familiar to me?

I am male and 43. I have lots of visible tattoos, is that a problem there? I will learn basic Spanish before going.

How is the health care? I need access to a psychiatrist and a doctor who can handle my pain management needs. Is Medical Marijuana legal there?

The Oxford Seminar site states that the mean salary would be 1,000,000 clp a month, maybe $2,000 US a month, give or take. What would a nice 2 bedroom place cost? How about the cost of a maid or cleaning service? Can I live and work in the city riding a bicycle and have no car?

There are not many places with the climate I need, especially when I eliminate the Middle Eastern countries. I have always wanted to spend time below the Equator, so I can see a new night sky.

Thank you for your time,

Michael

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Teaching English in Calama

Salaries are high in Calama because most people work in the mining industry. I would not be sure that the pay of an English teacher would be the same. The climate probably meets your needs, but you would probably find medical care problematic as the private insurers may not be willing to cover you as you have a preexisting condition.

I cannot answer you questions about rent, a maid or riding a bike.

As far as I am aware medical marijuana is not legal here.

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Teaching English in Calama

Regarding the bike, absolutely you can get by, depending on where in the city you live, and how far you are willing to bike. Realistically if you are a decent biker, you can get from the airport (outskirts of the city) to the downtown area in about an hour.... Not a big city. So, biking is easy, but also they have Micro buses which cost 400 Pesos / equivalent to 80 cents roughly and you just have to know the number and it will take you anywhere.

It is the most well-off city financially in Chile because of the Copper mines, so things may be slightly more expensive than the rest of the country (except tourist areas...) but still much cheaper than Arizona. The weather is painfully dry. The altitude you will be okay with, the weather is something you will not experience anywhere else. Beautiful cloudless night skies where you can see all the stars. If you can appreciate the weather and the simplistic boringness of the city, then you will fall in love with the beautiful natural world of Calama.

Not sure about the rest. Hope I helped

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Teaching English in Calama

Never been there but on a popular expat board, Calama has a reputation of being a dirty ugly city and not a destination for a foreigner to voluntarily place themselves there unless we are talking a $$$$ mining job.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Teaching English in Calama

Calama is growing rapidly (like most mining areas in the north of Chile), however, it still lags behind other bigger cities located in the Atacama region. You may want to try instead bigger cities such as Iquique, Arica, or Antofagasta.

5. Re: Considering Teaching English in Calama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Calama