We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

Hi,

We could not decide to stay at Lake Tekapo or Mt. Cook for our November trip.

Please kindly advice us. If possible recommend us some accomodation with reasonable rate.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

We too had this dilemma.We originally planned to stay at The Hermitage Mt.Cook but then realised that there is not much else up there to see/do apart from the glacier lake trip and walks.We thought that staying there really needed good clear weather in order to get views of the mountain.

Also,we wanted to do the Mount John Observatory evening visit (weather permitting) and so would be better based in Lake Tekapo.

We hope to take a plane or helicoper flight which includes a landing on the glacier and we can do this from Lake Tekapo.As we have two nights booked we can drive up to Mount Cook village if we feel like it.

We are booked in the B2 apartment.I hope it's nice,we've just gone by reviews on this forum.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

It really is personal. Mummy gaot has given good reasons for choosing Tekapo. I much prefer Aoraki/Mt Cook. I love the solitude and the sunrise on the mountains. Hiking the Hooker Valley track at sunset is also magical. Unless you camp or stay at the YHA, Mt Cook is more expensive however.

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

Like Zhuhai I much prefer Mt Cook, As well as the hiking options, the landscape scenery to be found there is one of the main reasons we tour the South Island.

However we too find it overpriced for accomm quality offered and for covering the Mt Cook area we prefer to base ourselves around Twizel which has a far greater spread of value for money accomm. And eating in/ out options.

4. Re: Stay at Lake Tekapo OR Mt. Cook?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Tekapo