We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmon fishing

Which Lake Tekapo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salmon fishing

My wife and I will be in the Wanaka/ Lake Tekapo/Akaora area late Nov.

Would love to do some salmon fishing, otherwise trout fishing. We prefer to fish either on a boat, or at a bank instead of standing IN the river with wet gear.

Thank you

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Salmon fishing

The line, "It's not about catching" is in fact BS. It's just a handy excuse for when you come home and are asked, "what did you catch today, dear?" LOL

I know some catch and release and so claim it's about "the hunt". I'm not one of those, if I catch something I will eat it, but admit trout is not the most interesting fish to eat.

I couple of trips will however give understanding of the bumper sticker "Give a man a fish, and he has a meal, but give him a rod and teach him to fish and he will never cut the lawns again". (well it's something like that.

South Island Bill has summarised it all very well. He has obviosly been fishing!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Salmon fishing

Thank you. This sounds good. cruising in Lake Tekapo is a treat by itself! Will check it out definitely.

Home
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Salmon fishing

I looked into hiring gear and found that if you intended to do more than a couple of days fishing it would be cheaper to buy some rather than hire it. Even if you abandon it, or give it to a local kid before your return you could be $NZ up on the deal.

14. Re: Salmon fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18