We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Which Lake Tekapo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Hi...we are driving from Dunedin to Lake Tekapo. Which route would you suggest is the best one to arrive at Lake Tekapo for the night...most scenic and things to do and see?

Your advice is appreciated.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Both routes skip the fantastic Lindis Pass and so neither is the most scenic.

Why not post your entire itinerary so we can make more constructive recommendations?

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Hi....ok then which way would you go? I am just finalizing our trip right around NZ.

We are already locked in to our itinerary with money paid for accommodation and tours. From Lake Tekapo we are on to Christchurch for 2 nights.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
651 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

To get to Lake Tekapo from Dunedin, drive up SH1 for about 80 minutes and then turn in at Weston, just south of Oamaru. This will take you to Duntroon in the Waitaki Valley and from there to Kurow, Omarama, Twizel, Lake Tekapo. Look at the dotted line leading from Weston on SH1 to Duntroon, This indicates the "tourist route." Interesting geological formation, fossils, and pretty country scenery along here, especially beautiful in autumn,

visitoamaru.co.nz/Libraries/PDFs/Oamaru_Wait…

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
651 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

I wanted to add it is worth going into Oamaru and seeing the Old Victorian Precinct, and then doubling back to Weston.

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Fantastic thank you ......thats exactly what I was after. Thank you for your input. It's wonderful to receive help from another country!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

There is more to see in Oamaru than Timaru. Steam Punk at the end of the Victorian precinct is well worth a look around.

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Ok great thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

I agree, I'd rather stay at Oarmaru than go on to Timaru.

I'd recomend you at least take the detour up the Waitaki Valley, Omarama, Lake Pukaki, Tekapo.

I't a pity you are not doing a stop in between as there is so much to see along this route, Moeraki Boulders, Penguins/steam punk/Old Victorian port at Oarmaru, Mt Cook Village.

Also, do yourselves a favour, turn off the highway at Maheno, and head to Kakanui, then follow the beach road up to Oamaru. Great little drive that everyone seems to bypass.

Perth
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Hi thanks. We are going to see the Moeraki boulders and taking the detour up the valley. Will now do the beach drive too.

10. Re: Oamaru to Lake Tekapo or Timaru to Lake Tekapo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 07:17