We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looks like we're going to Saadani!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
looks like we're going to Saadani!

Due to a medical issue (enough already!) we will not be able to do the gorilla trek in Rwanda at the end of our safari in February. (sniffle sniffle sob) So we had extra nights (or we could have just come home....nahhhh!) and decided to go to Saadani for three nights. (lemonade from lemons, right?)

I'm really excited about it, as it will give us yet another perspective on Tanzania.

We're going to stay at Tent with a View.

Any advice on activities?

Thanks.

27 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

Visit the salt factory, interesting...also go for a boat cruise....and look for baboons they are very large.

Otherwise just relax on the beach enjoy the sand....and the more tropical climate and scenery.

It is a very different spot.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

Hey, Siouxxie,

I'm staying at Tent with a View, too. You'll be there before me so I realize you are the one who asked for things to do, but perhaps you would pass on to me what you find. (I'll remember NE's suggestion of the salt factory. I hadn't heard of that).

You'll just have to tell Mr S that there is a trip with the southern circuit combined with the gorillas in your futures.

chris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

I've not been there. But would be interested to hear first-hand accounts....

I so enjoy going places through other people's eyes. Please report back, but, if you don't want to, don't feel you have to. Enjoy your travels.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

Oh, Siouxxie -- cool! I can't wait to hear how you like Tent With a View. We'll be at Saadani Safari Lodge, but both lodges look interesting to me, and TWaV was the first one I found online, and the first time I got seduced by Saadani as a possible destination.

Nice river safari, some beach time, a game drive or two, and your camp has a local creek, I gather, with canoe trips possible. It all sounds so relaxing and a great transition after the rigors of overland safari.

I'm already looking forward to your trip report!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

Thanks everyone! We'll have two weeks on safari, and then wind down at Saadani. I'll check out the salt factory. And yes, a canoe ride would be great. Baboons! Cool!

We're off to Bora Bora next week, so that is my focus right now. Once we're back, I can focus on Tanzania.

Edited: 03 September 2014, 04:47
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

The salt factory might be interesting, but it is destroying the National Park because of their big semi trailers that have to go right through the entire park to bring the salt to Dar es Salaam and other places. I would not recommend supporting it by visiting it. But you will see it anyway once you will go down to the Wami River for boat cruise, which is very great - wonderful birding (if you like that then you should rather go in the morning) and of course hippos and crocodiles.

Saadani is a great national park to see wildlife actually wild - animals are still shy and not used to humans (no, it's not like a zoo, where you know when to see the lions at which spot). Since it's park with quite high grass and bush, you won't really need binoculars - you will hear the animals and smell them and then see them right next to you when they appear from behind the bush. Chances are high to see lots of giraffes and waterbucks, also elephants, lions, buffaloes, wildebeests, hartebeests, yellow baboons, bushbucks, duikers, bohor reedbucks, hornbills, and many more birds. When it's the right season you will also see flamingos near the salt pans (where the salt factory is).

If you have lots of luck you might be able to see sable antelopes, but they are usually in the very northern part of the park. Going at around sunset you might also catch a glimpse of mongooses, civets, genet cats and other more nocturnal animals.

Enjoy your stay!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

I'm hoping for Kudu, which I haven't seen since I was in South Africa back in 2005. I've read somewhere that Saadani has a very large population of Bohor Reedbuck -- lovely animals I've only seen rarely elsewhere. Also Colobus Monkeys, which we saw only briefly in Arusha National Park and in our one day in the Selous (long story). Fantastic tails!!!

Also expecting (hoping for) some new bird species.

I can hardly wait. Meanwhile, I can hardly wait for Siouxxie's trip report!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

i can hardly wait to go, sandy! haha.

I was thinking just a few minutes ago how i originally planned this trip in March of 2013 for this past January. Then had to postpone, and now have to wait until Feb. 2015--that's almost two years! no wonder i am so restless!

tembo, thank you so much for that extensive information. It's very helpful! (yikes I need to intensify my animal studies!)

doing a trip report for this crowd will be very difficult--you're all such experts! I know for sure I won't even TRY to identify the birds! lol

i do take copious notes while on holiday you know me, i like to write, i like to talk) and one of our kids (the artist) gave Mr S a small "pocket" sketchbook and tiny water color pencils, which he hopes to use often on the trip (like father like son!) but Joby will be a tough act to follow!

ok now i wish it was tomorrow!

Edited: 08 September 2014, 17:32
9. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 20:36

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looks like we're going to Saadani!

Siouxxie -- I recommend getting a good bird book to bring along for your safari. You have no idea yet how much fun trying to identify a bird can be.

For the past 3 safaris, I've carried a copy of the Audubon's "Field Guide to East Africa." Our smart-aleck guide, Said, regards it with considerable contempt. Every time I take it out as we try to identify a strange bird, he remarks, with a smirk, "Your book only has two birds." LOL.

So. I ordered and received via Amazon Stevenson & Fanshawe's "Birds of East Africa," which is one of the many books Said keeps in his vehicle. The drawings are excellent, but I keep wishing they were photographs, as they are in the Audubon. Of course, it's FAR more comprehensive than the Audubon and even includes differences between adult and juvenile of most species -- extremely useful, that.

In any case, I've learned so much about birds through safari. Before my first safari I had no idea what a "cere" was, or a "gape," or "lore," and I couldn't tell a hornbill from a parrot.

Now I can even help sometimes with identifications here -- can spot an African Jacana on sight, and can tell the difference between a Crowned Shrike and a White-headed Buffalo Weaver at ten paces. I can even differentiate a stork from a heron and a sunbird from a bee eater. It's incredibly satisfying, and, if you're anything like most people you are going to end up with a greater interest in and respect for birds after your safari than you ever had before. Plus, you'll probably learn to identify many all by yourself!

You don't, however, want to find yourself embarrassed by your bird book. It is a past shame I blush to think upon.

Edited: 08 September 2014, 18:34
Reply to: looks like we're going to Saadani!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saadani National Park