We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reit Im Winkl

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reit Im Winkl

Can someone let me know if 7 days is too long to stay in this area?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Reit Im Winkl

What time of the year? Will you have a car?

Without a car. it's definitely a long time because there are only three directions in which you can go by bus: R.i.W to Prien, at the railway station, and to visit the palace on the Herrenchiemsee Island, as well as going to Munich and Salzburg. But these latter trips will be long days. R.i.W to Koessen and the route west to the Walchsee, and R.i.W going east, to Ruhpoldinmg and, in a bit convoluted way to Berchtesgaden. Again a long trip with little time left for Bgdn. Not sure if there is still a bus going south to St. Johann in Tirol. When it rains, Reit is pretty boring.

Give me a bit more info. about your interests and timing. I originaly lived only 12km from R.i.W.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reit Im Winkl

Thank you.

We are going at the end of August. We will have a car.

We fly in to Munich and spend one night there. Then we go to Salzburg for two nights.

I changed the plans last night, so now we are staying four nights in Schonau, Konigssee.

So we are left with two nights now to spend somewhere else. Might cancel our booking for RIW.

I briefly looked at Garmische. Would that be a better option?

Thanks very much.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 06:57
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reit Im Winkl

Garmisch is a city, if that's what you want. It offers many cable cars and the Zugspitzbahn. Some good hiking, but so does Reit. Reit for 2 days is fine. It has a beautiful location. Schoenau is a good choice for Berchtesgaden area. .

On your way from Schoenau to Reit you can take the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Highway) , numbered as B-305. Very scenic and a good road, easy to drive.

I don't know what your lodging budget is. The best place near Reit is the Peternhof. It's a complete resort with golf course, etc., beautiful lodging and location as well as good food. But it is expensive and may be fully booked in August. Check their website, it is the Peternhof in Koessen, which is in Austria, right across the German - Austrian border but physically closer to Reit (distance about 2 km) than Koessen.

If you want to be a bit closer to the Chiemsee lake and the Royal Palace on the Herrenchiemsee Insel (island) , there is a very nice and reasonable hotel in Unterwoessen, the Hotel Astrid. It's family run; they are friends of mine. Unterwoessen offers good hiking and biking and sailplane flying, but does not offer much in terms of evening entertainment and restaurants, except the Astrid. But there are some very good places to eat within a 15 minutes drive. . Unterwoessen is located 12km past Reit, also on the B-305.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reit Im Winkl

Great stuff. Thank you for the info. Very helpful.

Reply to: Reit Im Winkl
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reit im Winkl
Recent Conversations