We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Naples

Which Lamezia Terme hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
Level Contributor
32 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Naples

RyanAir see,m to have cancelled above flights from Stansted. Therefore we are thinking of driving from Naples down to Lamezia Terme.

Anyone got any tips? Are we mad? Any places to stop off at?

Thanks very much.

CLB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,094 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Naples

Naples to Lamezia Terme is about 240 miles, and you could drive it in under 4 hours (plus stops) on the A3 autostrada.

If you go to www.viamichelin.com you can get driving directions and see if anywhere along the route is of interest to you.

Wirral
Level Contributor
32 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Naples

thanks very much.

CLB

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Naples

We drove from Naples to Lorica last february & encountered no problems to speak of, the road isn't too great coming out of Naples but it does improve. I have also done the journey from Bari & whilst there is no difference in journey time i do prefer the Naples route & we are doing it again next week

Wirral
Level Contributor
32 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Naples

Do you know of anywhere that's worth stopping on the way that you would recommend?

Also, do you have a preferred car hire company?

Thanks very much.

CLB

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Naples

Sorry i can't recommend anywhere as we didn't stop until our turn off at Cosenza but i will keep my eye's open next week .

Regarding car hire i generally compare prices on travel supermarket & then book via their website.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Naples

I have found the best car hire prices at:

www.auto-europe.co.uk

HTH

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Naples

Hi there are services on the A3 every 40km or so , we used an auto grill which was fine. The journey from Naples to Cosenza took 3 1/4 hours but the return took 4 hours as you are diverted off the A3 for a while due to the on-going roadworks. There is also a toll of 1.60 euro payable each way on the outskirts of Naples

Paul

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Naples

Does anyone know if Ryanair has stopped flights from Stansted to Lamezia? Or is it only over the winter? They were always so popular.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 00:14
Burghclere...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Naples

Unfortunately yes, but there are plenty of connecting flights available through Rome, Milan, Pisa etc.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Naples

Hi. I know this reply is months after your query, but just wanted to say that we caught the train from Naples to Lamezia and that was absolutely fine. Booked online with Trenitalia. I admire you if you are going to be driving in and around Naples. Good luck