We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praia da Rocha

Which Praia da Rocha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Praia da Rocha

HI,

Thinking of coming to Prai da Rocha for a wk in August with my partner we have been to Villamoura twice and Albuferia three Times we love Portugal but want to try somewhere else maybe less commercial. We want to eat out each night at nice restaurants and like good bars but we don't want the crazy nightlife of Albuferia but want enough going on. Can anyone give me a bit of info on the area as we want to book up this weekend many thanks.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praia da Rocha

Praia da Rocha is hardly less commercial than Albufeira (assume you mean the new end - not the old town). It could be described as 'Albufeira-lite' - a slightly smaller version of the same thing.

Why not try Alvor or Lagos - lots of good restaurant, plenty of decent bars, busy but not 'bouncy' or rowdy. There's also a lot more character in those resorts ie they've evolved into their current state rather than been purpose-built as resorts.

They're both within easy reach of PdR if you fancy a more hectic night out - that way you can also get a look at the place before deciding if you would like to go there in the future.......

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praia da Rocha

Yes we've only gone into the old town for the evening and last time just found it too busy. Thanks for the information I will take a look at Alvor and Lagos wad originally looking at Alvor we just couldn't find a hotel that suited us but I will have another look.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Praia da Rocha

I agree. Praia da Rocha is all high rise hotels and Brits on holiday. The beach is excellent, but the area does not offer anything really different to Albufeira.

Alvor and Lagos have evolved, as you say.

Carvoeiro might also be worth a look, although most of the tourist accommodation is a bit out of town.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Praia da Rocha

From what you say you're looking for, I'd say Alvor is a perfect fit. There's loads of great, reasonably priced restaurants, so self catering is a very good option. There's lots of privately owned accommodation in Alvor and you should have no trouble finding somewhere suitable if you trawl the owners' websites. As El-h-Hils says, you can always pop in a taxi to PdR if you feel like going clubbing - it's only about 3 miles from Alvor.

5. Re: Praia da Rocha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Praia da Rocha