We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Buses

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Question re Buses

Is there a bus that runs from the Marina / Tivoli end of PDR (or maybe from up the stairs from the fort), down to Praia Da Vau, or at least some way down the coast to the West? Basically, we want to explore the area and have a look at the beaches around Praia do Vau, but am conscious about how far we can persuade the kids to walk....

(this has probably got Cubsur's name all over it, but help from anyone is gratefully received!)

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Buses

http://www.algarvebus.info/011.htm (courtesy Cubsur). There's a link for a system map in it.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 16:26
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Buses

http://www.algarvebus.info/011.htm Has the info.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Buses

Thanks for that. Looking at the link, unless I've misread it, I'd need to go into the centre of Portimao, change buses, and then get over to Vau, with the same on return.

"TAXI"!!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Buses

I'm sure Cubsur will drop in with some suggestions. Hold on! :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Buses

From memory (I drive a car when I stay there) but I think it is now a series of one way streets, often opposing each other. Thus the bus has to go down the hill behind the 'main drag' anyway from the top of the steps. At one time it was a two-way street, and you could go right west along the road. Now, it's impossible.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,202 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re Buses

The buses between Praia da Rocha and Praia do Vau no longer operate. It is not worth going all the way into Portimão. It's only a mile or so, you can walk all the way along the beach except at the very highest tides and there is also way to walk away from the main road more or less along the top of the cliff.

Bus 35 on weekdays and 1P at weekends run part of the way but by the time you have walked to the nearest stop and possibly wait for ages, you might as well keep going as the bus takes only 3 more minutes to get there.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 08:50
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re Buses

The walk all the way from your hotel would be around 35 minutes. A taxi would probably be around 5 euro.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re Buses

Thanks All. If the kids are in a good mood, we'll walk it! If not, cab!

9. Re: Question re Buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Praia da Rocha