We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Which Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Can anyone please advise how they keep the "mozzies " away...and also some tried and tested cures if you do get bitten. I love IBIZA, but have had very bad bites on two occasions. Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

They are little horrors aren't they! here is some research I did on them. I found for me, the Vitamin B supplement 2 week before travel the best repellant.

…blogspot.com/2010/09/ibiza-mosquitoes.html

Danny

http://dannykayibiza.blogspot.com/

wales
Level Contributor
260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

asked same question 2 yrs ago for egypt, replies i had were vitamin b6, 1 daily they absorb staight in system, no need to take before hols, or if your a marmite lover it has the same effect, mozzies dont like yeast, thats wat i was told tried it and me nor hubby had any bites, hope it helps.

mumstaxi2

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Thank you very much to both DANNYKAY and also MUMSTAXI 1, I Appreciate your comments, and I am certainly willing to try both of the suggested remedies......have not tried MARMITE, but if it really helps, I will give it a go!!!!.....thanks once again, because the little blighters seem to love munching on me!!!!!!!x

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Myrtle....get an anti repellant with DEET in it. This stuff was designed for yanks in Vietnam.

The commercial stuff available at Boots is fine.

I also second the Vit B tablets....they work.

chesterfield
Level Contributor
626 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

got bit twice last week whilst sat in old tavern and this was after spraying myself with avon skin so soft which a lot of people recommend

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

If you sweat in the Avon skin so soft it needs to be reapplied. I found I was bitten once or twice with it on also.

Danny

http://dannykayibiza.blogspot.com/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Hello....well we had a brilliant trip.....did try Marmite for a couple of days before I went.......thought it was VILE, but a couple of days into the trip when I stopped taking it.....I got some nasty bites on my arm.......so...bought more there, and was not bitten again....I did also pick some lavender which was growing everywhere, and put some beside the bed........so no serious problems.XXXX....cannot wait to go back.

Elche, Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Hi, I also suffer a lot with these little beasts.

Prevention is the key and Danny's suggestions are all spot on (as usual)...

Just in case you do get bitten (and I do, a lot) I have found the best thing for the bites is called Fenistel gel and they sell it in all Farmacias in Spain......

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Thank you owltravels....I will certainly look for this on my next visit.....which will probably be within the next few months X.

ibiza
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to you keep the mozzies at bay ???

Sounds like Marmite is even more awesome than I realised!!!

Get answers to your questions about Sant Antoni de Portmany