We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money card Or Not

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money card Or Not

Hi,

been an Ibiza regular since 2008 so this is our 4th year staying in the Blue Star on the bay as usual.

I usually just take cash and put it in the safe. Never had any problems before but this year funds are particulary tight due to being paid of a few months ago and I've got a feeling in my head that since funds are tight this year may be the year that money gets stolen. No fact or evidence to base that on, just a niggly feeling I have. Sods law I suppose.

Anyways everybody seems to be offering money cards these days. Firstly, I leave in 8 days. Is that enough time to get one through Thomas Cook?

Secondly, even though I'm a Ibiza regular I can't say I've ever really paid attention to where all the cash points are because I never needed them on past trips. Are there plenty dotted about the bay and San Antonio?

Final question really is are they worth it?

Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money card Or Not

8 days is short notice and you may not get your card in time for Ibiza. I would suggest you just use your atm card. If it has a cirrus, plus, link etc symbol on it you can withdraw cash (up to 250 in one day) from the many atm's on the island.

As you correctly say taking a large amount of cash with you is not a good idea these days in Ibiza.........

Danny

http://www.dannykayibiza.blogspot.com/

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money card Or Not

Hi Supersonicroses,

I too am off to Ibiza in 9 days , me and my friend have come to the conclusion that we are taking half our money in cash and half on one of the pre paid currency cards - that way we are insured for all our money on the card , if we do lose or have anything stolen then we know we have a backup! We are also taking our switch cards too , as an extra precaution. The currency cards are free to use at all atms and you can top them up , if needs be. They are also ready in minutes, so once you sign up at the travel agents , they are active and ready to go. Hope this helps. Enjoy x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money card Or Not

There aer plently of ATMS, and as far as taking am oney card as long as you have the cash tp put onto it, you can walk into any Thomson/First Choice and get a card there and then, i used to work there and used their card it worked fine there. I work for Co optravel noe and we have travel money cards in stock all the time too and as we have just merged with Thomas Cook i'd be pretty sure in saying they will have them in stock too! just remember to take photo ID with you to get it; passport or driving license, And like i say dont worry about ATMS there everywhere.

Katy x

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money card Or Not

SS - Get to Thomas Cook and ask for a Cash Passport Card. It takes 15 mins to fill out.

You load it with how ever many Euros you want.

It is PIN protected.

It comes under the Visa banner so you can use it anywhere (restaurants etc) and at any ATM.

ibiza
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money card Or Not

my friend got a money card last week but the rate was pretty crap - only 1.04, when you can get 1.10 on the island for cash.....

think he said it was thomas cook - i'll check....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money card Or Not

Oh i forgot to mention if your gettin the cash passprot from over here then the rates have been going up to about 1.10 -1.11 ish, i'd get it then even tho i know its tempting to think hmm ill see if it goes up anymore, its generally dropping again from there to like 1.05 ish.

katy

ibiza
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money card Or Not

I'm having to lend my mate money now - apparently EVERY single cash machine in Playa den Bossa is out of order or out of money.

happens all the time here so whatever you do make sure a money card is not your only option.....

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money card Or Not

Do you know if San An's cash machines are working ?? Thanks

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Money card Or Not

Just an update. Got one from Thomas Cook. Put half my money on the card and half my money in cash just so I'm covered either way. As i said I've never experienced any problems with thefts all the times I've been to the island but it would probably be sods law that the time I come on a tighter budget than usual, would be the time something happened.

Leave on Saturday, 2 days woop.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money card Or Not

Same here - Ive done the exact same. Half cash, Half Card and Debit card too! lol! I leave on saturday also.. cannot wait! Have fun

Get answers to your questions about Sant Antoni de Portmany
Recent Conversations