We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiesta

Which Alaior hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fiesta

Hi

In our 5th visit to the island in August and last year we were lucky enough to go to the fiesta, just wondering if the dates are the same every year or if the dates for this year have been posted any where. Thanks in advance jackie

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,522 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiesta

Have a look at these two sites www.menorca.world-guides.com/events.html and www.villaworld.co.uk/news/fiestas2011.asp

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiesta

Thanks, it's the second week of August 5 days into our holiday. Last year's was amazing never seen fire works Like it in my life, roll on August I'm all excited now .

Thanks again

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiesta

Hi - August is the busiest month for fiestas, taking place in Alaior the second weekend of August, in Ferreries on 23, 24 and 25 August and also in Sant Climent the third weekend of August and then in Sant Lluis the last weekend of August. The Ferreries one was great last year with fantastic horse show in the streets but we didn't stay to see the fireworks, but have been told that they are only on the last day.

It has been suggested that I have recommended a certain website in most of my posts and was there a reason for this. Well, my husband and I have visited the island quite a few times recently and have grown to love it and so have been looking out for more information about what's happening when we are there which is quite difficult to find in advance unless you speak to locals. I was recommended a website that has quite a lot of current information by someone in a bar and given a card. It does appear to be quite good although not much info about the actual resorts and beaches, but I suppose it may be more for locals who know them anyway. There is a good section about Fiestas, although it doesn't give the details of each one, but may do nearer the time. But it does give all the dates and some interesting things about fiestas on the island, which is very useful.

There are so many websites, all with different information about the island but not much with information that is happening at the moment, therefore my interest in this site. If anyone knows of any others, not property or travel sites, but more newsy sites, please let me know. I know the local papers are on line, but not in English and the translations are a bit strange sometimes and take ages to work out. There used to be the English Pages but they seem to have stopped now, which were very useful as had info about concerts and shows etc.

But back to fiestas. There is also a printed local magazine in English which has the programme of each fiesta which is useful to buy when you get there, but I expect you already know it.

Hope this helps. We can't wait until our next visit.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiesta

Thanks for that info, I am a member of an other site which I get a lot of info from, not sure if I can mention it though!! My family and I have fallen in love with the island and no where can beat it, this has been confirmed recently to is as I've just returned from a week in Portugal and although we enjoyed it it confirmed to us that we won't be visiting any where else for a good few years. I often get slated by friends and family for not taking my son to different countries but with holidays costing so much we want to ensure we enjoy them if that makes sense. We all feel so safe on the island and unfortunately that was lacking in Portugal

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,522 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiesta

jacksfinn (and anyone else who has been thinking the same thing) please mention any other sites you think are useful. I often post links to other sites ( not talk forums admittedly but it is pretty much the same thing imo) The TA communtiy guidelines ( see tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines… ) actually says "......We welcome referrals, recommendations, and critiques from our members. We also have no objection to the inclusion of links to travel-related sites, commercial or personal, in posts. If you own or represent a business or website, however, please take note of the following guidelines, and above all please do not use the forums to solicit new customers or promote your services......"

Go for it - you may have found one that not many people know about!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiesta

www.menorca-net.co.uk

I've been a member for a few years and find it extremely helpful and very friendly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiesta

Hi,

I believe the fiestas have the same dates each year. The tourist board in last years produced a simple whats on this week ( you can get this just outside baggage hall in arrivals sill? ) which has the specific days/events for that week. As the fiestas are really aimed at the locals ther'es not a lot of publicity aimed at visitors.

mymenorca.info/menorca-seeanddo/fiestas.php

can give you some yearly dates

My friend who lives there say the town will often publish a little timetable of events from the town hall. Most happens early mornings or last pm - last day usually has fireworks- I go to the one in es castell if im there, the firewoeks are amazing, set over the harbour waters, lovely atmosphere

Jen x

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiesta

Hi - I've been reliably informed that some fiestas are the same date each year such such as the Es Castell fiesta in July and others are the same weekend each year, so the date changes. I'm not sure if the info from the town halls is in English but the programmes are published in the English magazine, called Roqueta which also has information about what expats get up to. The other website I found with useful information about local events is: www.menorca-live.com. This seems to be for locals as well but has a lot of useful information which people might find interesting. I also look at the tourist board's website for events but these are not always in English and my Spanish is not up to it, especially if in Catalan.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiesta

The time frames do not really change eg 2nd week in x so published 'old dates' are a good enough guide a syou be just a few days either side. The Es Castell Fiesta info is published in English but most wont be as they are really religous events for locals.

Tour Operators ship in coaches of folks ( at what knows ticket prices- you can get special buses anyway ) to the Ciutadella / Es Castell / Mahon fiestas but I think ship them back before the fireworks start which is normally after midnight

They tend to get very repetative once you have seen them twice and unfortuantely increasingly too many drunk menorcan teenage boys

Edited: 07 May 2011, 18:27
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiesta

My friend is a confectioner in Alaior and makes special items for the fiesta

Spelling !! repetetive.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 18:29
Get answers to your questions about Alaior
Recent Conversations