We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
164 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Hi

We are visiting Lanzarote for the first time next week and have read that Yaiza twice won the title of Prettiest Spanish Village.

Does anyone have any info on it - ie can you get a bus from Playa Blanca, how much would a taxi cost, is there a nice bar there to enjoy a beer or sangria?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,876 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Yaiza is a very picturesque old village with palm trees and lots of white buildings. It is located around 15km from Playa Blanca, 20km from Arrecife. I am sure some of the buses from Arrecife to Playa Blanca stop in the village however the bus service is sometimes infrequent. Hope this helps a little.

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

No problem with the bus. That should take you about 20 minutes. It's the number six you want. They go about every hour or so.

www.arrecifebus.com will give you the times. Once on that website, click the link on the left that includes the word Horarios" and then select Linea 6.

Yaiza is predominantly residential - but yes there are one or two bars. As you enter the town from Playa Blanca, there is one on each side of the road... both large. Then in the town there are a couple more. I don't think there is a bus stop on the edge of town - but there is definitely one in the centre.

It's a very sleepy village... so don't expect bustling throngs of Spaniards pouring gallons of sangria. But if you time it right for one of their fiestas, it's a great atmosphere.

We have a few friends who live in Yaiza. It IS a very pretty village.

I could only guess at the cost of a taxi - but I estimate around 12 to 15 euros each way.

Elle xx

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Yes Yaiza won the equivalent to our Britain in bloom awards. It is beautiful but not in the conventional sense. The white sugar cube village with the back-drop of a stark volcanic landscape and lush green palms make it what it is. The mountains around it change colour with the natural light. Personally I like the road down to Playa Blanca at night with the moon-light on the rocks, the purple and blue hues really come out.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
164 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Thank you for your informative replies. I will check out the bus timetable.

Another option might be to hire a car for the day and call in to Yaiza en route to or from visiting Timanfaya Park.

Any tips/costs for car hire in Playa?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

When I was there in November, I went online to see how much it would be for a few days but they could not beat the local office of Cabrera Medina. The rate we paid was nothing like the rates shown outside. I think business is so slow they are practically giving cars away, just for the price of insurance.

www.cabreramedina.com

Bear in mind again, the published price is not always what you will pay.

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

We were a little disappointed with Yaiza - can't exactly say why, but we expected something 'prettier', and although it was attractive and atmospheric, we couldn't see how it has been deemed Prettiest Spanish Village. When we were there, everything was closed and there was hardly a soul around. We went twice and it was the same each time. Other villages we found attractive were Haria, Femes, and Teguise (I think Teguise is bigger and has more notable buildings). Haria and Teguise certainly have more bars and eating places.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

Yes I can understand that. When you drive into the Haria area and look down, it certainly looks much more appealing, but to the Spanish Judges they saw a different beauty in Yaiza.

8. Re: Yaiza - anyone visited this pretty village?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca
Recent Conversations